Summary: Your APFS encrypted drive won't mount after encryption interrupted? Worry about losing data? iBoysoft Mac Data Recovery is here to help you fix this problem without losing data.
As it was known, APFS has the best properties of fast saving speed, reliable safe security, and many other features. When it comes to data security, one advantage of APFS is its powerful encryption ability, which combines single-key encryption with multi-key encryption to protect users data. However, nothing in the world is flawless, neither APFS. It happens that your APFS encryption drive won't mount after encryption interrupted, or you may receive the error message: error unlocking APFS volume: couldn't mount disk (-69842) when First Aid this APFS encrypted drive. This page will show you how to fix APFS encrypted drive won't mount after encryption interrupted and recover data from this APFS drive.
Table of contents1. Why APFS encrypted drive won't mount after encryption interrupted?
2. How to fix this APFS encrypted drive after encryption interrupted?
Why APFS encrypted drive won't mount after encryption interrupted?
There are numerous reasons for APFS encryption interruption, such as virus infection, power failure, bad sector, improper operation, etc. But the main reasons are invalid fsroot tree, invalid catalog file or damaged partition table, etc. As a consequence, the operating system is not able to recognize the APFS encrypted drive or mount it.
How to fix this APFS encrypted drive after encryption interrupted?
The first solution is to repair this APFS encrypted drive with First Aid in Disk Utility. But if First Aid failed, the file system of this drive might be seriously corrupted and needs to be rebuilt. You can reformat this APFS drive via Disk Utility, But it will also remove all your data saved on the APFS encrypted drive. If you have important files and didn't back up, you need to firstly recover data from this APFS encryption drive with reliable APFS data recovery software, like iBoysoft Mac Data Recovery.
Step 1: Recover lost data after APFS encryption interrupted
iBoysoft Mac Data Recovery is the best APFS data recovery software that can recover data after APFS encryption/decryption interrupted/frozen/paused/froze. It can not only recover data from encrypted APFS volume, but also recover deleted/lost files from APFS drive, recover data from formatted APFS hard drive, recover data from unmountable APFS drive, recover data from unreadable APFS hard drive, recover data from corrupted APFS drive, recover deleted/lost APFS partition, etc.
Moreover, iBoysoft Mac Data Recovery can also recover data from HFS+, HFS, FAT32, exFAT drives. It supports multiple file formats like documents, pictures, videos, audios, emails, etc. and different storage devices such as hard drive, SSD, external hard drive, USB flash drive, SD card, memory card, pen drive, etc. on macOS 10.15/10.14/10.13/10.12 and Mac OS X 10.11/10.10/10.9/10.8/10.7.
1. Download and install iBoysoft Mac Data Recovery on Mac.
2. Launch iBoysoft Mac Data Recovery and click "Find Lost APFS Partition" on the top right corner. Then you will see all connected hard drives.
3. Select the drive which contains your APFS encrypted partitions and click "Next" button. The software will list all APFS partitions on the selected drive.
4. When the unmountable APFS encrypted partitions is found, you need to choose it and click "Next".
5. Enter the correct password and click "OK" to start searching for lost files on the APFS encrypted partition.
6. Preview the searching results, choose files you need, and click "Recover" to get them back.
Step 2: Reformat the APFS encrypted drive
After successful data recovery, you are safe to reformat the APFS encrypted drive to reuse.
1. Launch Disk Utility.
2. Select the APFS encrypted drive from the left sidebar of the window.
3. Click the Erase button on the top of the Disk Utility window.
4. Complete the related information (name, format, scheme), then click Erase.