Summary: Deleting photos by accident happens to most of us. If you deleted a photo and realize you need it back, what will you do? In this article, we will introduce you 4 ways to recover deleted photos from Windows 10. The best solution is to download this free deleted photo recovery software - iBoysoft Data Recovery.
- Table of content
- 1. What should you know before deleted photo recovery in Windows 10?
- 2. How to recover deleted photos with free data recovery software?
- 3. How to recover deleted files without software?
- 4. How did you delete photos in Windows 10?
- 5. Why can deleted photos be recovered in Windows 10?
- 6. Conclusion
Accidentally deleted photos in Windows 10, help!
Picture this scene. You deleted a folder in Windows which you consider useless, and then you immediately realize it contained your vital photos taken on a family tour or vacation with friends. But it happened so suddenly that you didn't back up any file. It's really a heart-stopping moment as you think that your families/friends might yell at you for careless conduct, even though you feel so guilty and sorry for such deeds.
Let's see a real example:
"I accidentally deleted important photos from my drive in Windows. I already deleted them from the Recycle Bin as well, anything I can do to restore them?"
Is there any way to recover deleted photos in Windows 10? Well, if you just deleted them, there are many ways to get them back. These methods will depend on how you deleted them and which device you deleted them from. We have summarized some methods to recover deleted files in Windows.
Here are some cases you should take into account before recovering deleted files:
- There is no way to recover deleted files that have been overwritten. So, once you delete a file from a hard disk, you should stop using the drive as soon as possible. In that way, you can protect the deleted files from overwriting. Don't save any new files or edit existing files. Otherwise, these deleted files will be completely erased.
- If you deleted photos on the disk's system partition (for example, on the desktop or the C drive), you should shut down the system as soon as possible. Then you can perform deleted file recovery in WinPE environment. Alternatively, connect the hard disk to another computer for data recovery.
- The final result of data recovery depends on the remainder of the data which is not overwritten yet. If the deleted files have been partially overwritten, they can be partially recovered. If these files have been overwritten entirely, neither can a professional data recovery program nor a data recovery service company recover them at all.
- It's impossible to recover data from an SSD with TRIM enabled. TRIM is an excellent and necessary feature to speed up data writing. But this feature also causes some disasters. When you delete any data from a TRIM-enabled SSD, the drive will clear all the sectors immediately and permanently. Unfortunately, the new generations of SSDs commonly comes with TRIM feature enabled. As a result, the chances for SSD data recovery is out of the question.
- Use a professional data recovery tool right now. The safest way is to recover deleted photos with a reliable data recovery tool. Those data recovery tools are designed for different data loss scenarios. They always recover your data in the read-only mode, eliminating the chance of data corruptions.
It' highly recommended to use iBoysoft Data Recovery, the free deleted file recovery software. It can help you restore photos deleted from hard disks, external hard drives, memory cards, USB flash drives, etc. No matter how photos have been deleted by the Shift + Delete key or virus infection, they can be recovered quickly and efficiently. No matter what you have deleted, such as photos, word documents, emails, videos, music files, this powerful program allows you to restore them within a few clicks.
Besides deleted photos recovery, iBoysoft Data Recovery work perfectly in formatted drive data recovery, RAW partition data recovery, corrupted drive data recovery, formatted drive data recovery and more. Even when your PC won't boot, it can get lost data back. It is compatible with Windows 10/8/7/Vista/XP and Windows Server 2016/2012/2008/2003.
Simple steps to recover deleted photos with iBoysoft Data Recovery:
Step 1: Download and install iBoysoft Data Recovery on your computer.
Step 2: Launch iBoysoft Data Recovery and choose the drive where you deleted your photos.
After the launch, the program will detect all connected devices and display them in its window.With a simple interface and easy-to-use wizard, you
After choosing the hard disk, iBoysoft Data Recovery will start searching for all deleted or lost photos. You will see a progress bar with the elapsed time and the remaining time. You can stop the progress whenever you want to.
Step 3: Preview the scanning results, choose the photos you want to get back and then click the "Recover" button.
You are able to select to show deleted files at the bottom left and filter the scanning results by file name, file size, created time. Moreover, the program allows you to preview the recoverable files by double-clicking them.
Tip: If you don't find the deleted files, please go back to the home interface. Select the drive and make sure the Deep scan button at the left bottom is ticked. Then click "Next" button and try again.
Step 4: After that, have a check to ensure you have recovered all lost data.
Don't want to recover deleted files with data recovery software? Windows also has some built-in features which can help to restore deleted photos. You can first check the Recycle Bin.
By default, if you select some files and press the Delete key, Windows will temporarily store them in the Recycle Bin. These files aren't permanently deleted from your hard disk, they are just moved to a different place. You are allowed to restore them from the Recycle Bin. But this method works only when you have not emptied the Recycle Bin or not using "Shift + Delete" keys in Windows 10. Follow the guidance below:
- Step 1: To recover deleted photos in Windows 10 from the Recycle Bin, you need to open the Recycle Bin on your computer by double-clicking its desktop icon, or right-click on it and select "Open" from the context menu.
- Step 2: Find the photos you have deleted. For the convenience in searching and selecting the files you need, you can sort them by various filters: Name, Date Deleted, Original Location, Size, Item Type, etc.
- Step 3: Right-click on the selected photos and choose "Restore" in the context menu. Or click on Restore the selected items button which you can find in the Recycle Bin tools tab. All selected photos will be recovered and placed to their original locations where they were stored before.
Can't find the deleted files you want in the Recycle Bin? You are able to restore them by using the File History feature if you created before. Here is how to get deleted data back:
- Step 1: Search for "Restore Files" on the taskbar and choose "Restore your files with File History".
- Step 2: Look for the folder where you lost/deleted files were stored. Click it to see more details. You can also use arrow buttons to see all its previous versions.
- Step 3: When you find the version you want, select "Restore" to save it to its original location. To save it in a different place, press and hold (or right-click) "Restore", select "Restore to", and then choose a new location.
Another way to recover deleted photos in Winodws 10 is using Previous Versions, which are also called shadow copies. Previous Versions are copies of your files and folders that Windows automatically saves as part of a restore point. The following steps will help you to recover deleted photos using this method:
- Step 1: Open the File Explorer and find the file containing deleted photos.
- Step 2: Right-click on the folder and select "Restore previous versions" in the context menu.
- Step 3: Now the list of files that you can restore will be listed. You can preview the file before restoring to.
- Step 3: Choose the version you would like to restore and click "Restore".
Accidental deletion happens every second in the Windows operating system, but users will do it in a number of ways:
- Deleting photos with the simply clicking and selecting the "Delete" key in Windows 10. Files deleted in this way have not been permanently removed from your hard disk, they were only moved to the Recycle Bin. You are able to undelete/restore them if you want to within a few clicks.
- Deleting separate files from the Recycle Bin. Perhaps, you select a deleted photo in the Recycle Bin and hit "Delete" on your key board. Such a deleted photo will can't be restored.
- Emptying the Recycle Bin. If you just right-click the icon of the Recycle Bin and then tap "Empty Recycle Bin", that way you have get rid of all your deleted items permanently.
- Files are permanently deleted using "Shift + Delete" keyboard. If you deleted a photo using Shift + Delete, the photo won't be moved to the Recycle Bin.
- Deleting files from external drives, such as external hard drives, USB flash drives, SD cards, memory cards, etc. These files won't get stored in the Recycle Bin. Instead, they bypass the Bin and get deleted.
- Virus infection can delete or corrupt files on your computer.
No matter how you delete your photos, there is a big chance to restore files easily if they were deleted only recently. Why can you recover deleted files from Windows 10?
In fact, files aren't really erased when you delete them, even after you empty them from the Recycle Bin. Windows keep track of where files store on a hard drive. When you delete something, this action only erases the system information rather than the files' actual contents.
Windows will make a change to file's record and mark the file as "deleted" in the file system. The deleted file is no longer presented on your hard drive. Meanwhile, the sector occupied with the contents of the deleted file is now marked as available for use. However, the actual data is still there until Windows actually writes new data over the sector containing the contents of the deleted file.
No matter how reliable data storage devices you use, data loss problems can happen at any time due to wrong user actions, malware effects, power failure, etc. Fortunately, some modern tools enable users to get their data back. With iBoysoft Data Recovery, you won't be bothered about how to recover deleted photos in Windows 10 anymore. In addition, it also supports data recovery from formatted, corrupted, RAW, inaccessible disks.
If you have any questions or wishes, contact us via email below this article and we will answer them for sure.