All file storage devices, including external hard drives, USB flash drives, and SD cards, can become RAW due to unsafe ejection, virus infection, bad sectors, corrupted file system, damaged partition table or other reasons. If you are familiar with commands on Windows, you might know that chkdsk is one command to check and fix minor disk problems. If chkdsk is not available for RAW drives, DiskPart command line is another chance to fix RAW partition.
In this article, we will give you a step-by-step guide to fix RAW partition using DiskPart on Windows 10/8/7 without losing data.
Note: The operations below are conducted on Windows 10. If you have a PC running Windows 8/7/Vista/XP, the dialogues might be slightly different but the steps are almost the same.
Before you read the instructions to fix the RAW partition using DiskPart, take a quick look at the overviews of RAW partition and DiskPart utility in the following sections.
What is RAW partition?
A RAW partition means a partition with unknown or unrecognized file system. It often represents that your disk or partition has some logical or physical problems and can't work properly on the operating system. If Windows operating system cannot recognize the file system of a partition, it won't allow any users to access the stored files on the partition.
Once the partition becomes RAW, you probably will see RAW as file system or 0 used space in Disk Management, will be asked to format the disk before you can use it, or will get error messages saying your drive is inaccessible.
DiskPart is a powerful command-line utility that is built-in on Windows 10/8/7/Vista/XP/2000. It allows users to manage the partitions both on computer's internal disk and on external disks. You can use it to list, view, create, delete or modify a partition. Therefore, it is helpful for fixing RAW or corrupted partitions.
Then how to use DiskPart to fix RAW partition without losing data? You can find it out in the next section.
How to use DiskPart to fix RAW partition without losing data?
The way DiskPart fixes a RAW partition is to change RAW partition to NTFS-formatted or FAT32-formatted partition. Before you proceed to fix the RAW partition by using DiskPart to convert RAW partition to NTFS or FAT32, you need to know that the process will delete all data on the RAW partition and reassign a file system to it. If you have important files on the RAW partition, you need to recover them first with data recovery software. For example, you can recover RAW partition with iBoysoft Data Recovery.
Step 1: Recover lost data from RAW partition
About iBoysoft Data Recovery
iBoysoft Data Recovery is a powerful data recovery tool for recovering data from RAW partitions on Windows 10/8/7/Vista/XP. It is able to recover photos, videos, documents, audio and other files from RAW hard drives, SD cards, USB flash drives, memory sticks and other storage devices. In addition to RAW partition data recovery, it supports recovering deleted or lost files from corrupted, inaccessible, formatted partitions or disks. Besides, it is capable of finding lost or deleted partitions and retrieving data from them.
Another key feature worth mentioning about iBoysoft Data Recovery is its ability to recover lost data from BitLocker protected partitions.
Raw Partition Data Recovery
- Recover photos, videos, documents, audio, music, etc.
- Recover files from RAW hard drives, RAW USB flash drives, RAW SD memory cards, RAW memory sticks, etc.
- Recover files from formatted/corrupted/inaccessible drives or partitions
- Recover files from BitLocker protected or deleted/lost partitions
- Support OS: Windows 10/8/7/Vista/XP and Windows Server 2019/2016/2012/2008/2003
Read-only & risk-free
Follow the step-to-step guide below to recover lost data from the RAW partition with iBoysoft Data Recovery:
1. Free download, install and launch iBoysoft Data Recovery on your PC.
2. Select RAW partition in the drive list and click Next.
3. Preview the file by single-clicking it.
4. Select needed files, and then click Recover.
Step 2: Use DiskPart to fix RAW partition to NTFS
After you have got all lost files back, it's time to use DiskPart to convert RAW partition to NTFS without worrying about data loss.
Here are the steps about how to use DiskPart to fix RAW partition to NTFS:
1. Click Start button.
2. Type in diskpart in the search box.
3. Right click on diskpart.exe and select Run as Administrator.
4. Run the following command line to list all the available partitions and drives.
According to the listed disk/partition information, identify which drive/partition is RAW and you want to fix. Scroll down to the picture below. In the picture, F is the target RAW volume and its "Volume 6" in the list.
5. Run the following command line. Be sure to choose the correct drive/partition and replace the volume with your RAW disk/partition.
select Volume 6
6. Run command line:
format fs=ntfs quick
Note: If you want to change RAW to FAT32, change the command line to format fs=fat32 quick.
7. Run the following command line to close the command prompt after you have seen the message saying "DiskPart successfully formatted the volume".
Other ways to fix RAW partition
Besides using DiskPart, you can also repair RAW external hard drives and other RAW storage devices by reformatting them in Disk Management or in File Explorer.
Format RAW partition in Disk Management
Disk Management is a built-in utility on Windows for users to view and manage the internal disk or external disks. You can use it to format a disk. The steps are simple.
1. Go to "This PC".
2. Right-click "This PC" and select "Management".<
3. Choose "Disk Management".
4. Locate the RAW partition, right-click on the RAW partition and select "Format".
5. Input needed information and make sure Quick format is checked.
6. Click on the "Format" button.
Format RAW partition in File Explorer
File Explorer is a file browser on Windows. Users can utilize it to locate and manage drives, folders and files. You can perform formatting a disk through it as well.
1. Go to "This Pc".
2. Find the RAW partition and right-click it.
3. Select "Format".
4. Input needed information and make sure Quick format is checked.
5. Click on the "Format" button.
Warning: The formatting in Disk Management or File Explorer will cause data loss if you don't have backups of your important files. Remember to recover lost data from RAW partition first.
Any of the methods will delete all saved files on the RAW partition or make files unrecoverable even with data recovery software. Therefore, you had better restore files from the RAW disk or partition first before attempting to fix the RAW partition. iBoysoft Data Recovery can recover images, videos, documents, audio and other files successfully and effectively from RAW disks and partitions.