Written byRivers Wong
How to Recover Data from RAW USB Drives and Fix It?
Summary: Your USB flash drive becomes RAW. Read this article from iBoysoft to find out why the USB drive turns RAW. Also, recover data from the RAW USB drive first before beginning the USB flash drive in RAW format repair.
I have a USB flash drive. Just three days ago, I connected it to my computer and it worked fine. I moved a couple of files without any problems. But a few minutes ago, I tried connecting it and found the USB drive show as a RAW format. Is there a way to recover all of the data on it as it had all my projects, movies, shows, games, and the backup of my phone on it without losing any data?
Does this sound like what you are experiencing? Don't worry! In this article, we will show you how to recover RAW USB drives, and then perform USB flash drives in RAW format repair. But before we really start doing this, you may want to know more details about RAW USB drives.
Table of Contents:
- 1. What you should know before recovering RAW USB drives
- 2. How to recover data from RAW USB drive?
- 3. How to fix RAW USB flash drive?
- 4. Bonus part: How to avoid RAW USB flash drive issue?
- 5. FAQ about RAW USB flash drive
What you should know before recovering RAW USB drives
USB drives become RAW happens frequently. It annoys users because once a USB turns RAW, all the USB data is inaccessible, such as files, videos, music, and photos. Read on to learn more about RAW USB drives.
Why do USB drives become RAW?
In most cases, a USB flash drive will not become RAW without a reason. You can check the following list to see if it is one of them leads to your problem. Here's are some common situations that may make your device RAW:
- Your USB flash drive is password protected. In this situation, your computer is not able to read and write it.
- File system errors. The file system of your USB flash drive is corrupted. In this case, performing USB RAW file system repair can save the file system.
- The file system of your USB drive is not compatible with the operating system of your computer. For example, when you plug an APFS formatted USB drive into a Windows device, it will give you a hint that the type of file system is RAW.
- The USB flash drive is not formatted at all. Interruption when formatting the flash drive into a different file system due to sudden removal or power failure.
- The flash drive is infected by a virus or attacked by malware.
By now, we believe that you have a deep understanding of RAW USB drives. It's high time to recover the RAW USB drive. Let's get started!
How to recover data from RAW USB drive?
Since your valuable files are still on the faulty device, you should recover files from the RAW USB drive first to avoid data loss, and then start the USB flash drive in RAW format repair.
The professional data recovery software - iBoysoft Data Recovery can help you get rid of RAW USB drive trouble. With it, you can retrieve your documents on the faulty device in just a few simple steps without losing data.
Apart from recovering data from RAW USB drives, it also supports recovering lost files from various storage devices, such as external hard drives, SD cards, and pen drives, and supports deleted files recovery. Here's how to perform RAW USB drive recovery by free downloading iBoysoft Data Recovery software:
1. Free download, install and launch iBoysoft on your PC.
2. Choose the RAW Drive Recovery module in the middle of the user's interface.
3. Select the RAW USB drive and click Next to start scanning.
4. Click Fix Drive before recovering data from the RAW USB drive.
Note: Fix Drive is a powerful function of iBoysoft Data Recovery software. If the file system of your USB drive is not damaged severely, it is able to fix the faulty drive by converting the RAW file system to its original file system, like FAT, exFAT, and NTFS. And the data on it is accessible, so you don't need to recover data anymore. But, if the Fix Drive fails to repair your RAW USB drive, move on to the next step.
5. Preview the scanning results to make sure your files are not corrupted.
6. Select all the files you want, and click the Recover to save them to another destination.
Warning: Do not save your recovered files back to the RAW USB drive, it will cause permanent data loss and overwrite the existing files on it. Please save them to another destination.
How to fix RAW USB flash drive?
There are two ways to perform a USB flash drive in RAW format repair. The first one needs to format your RAW USB drive while the other is not. If you want to recover the RAW USB drive with formatting, make sure that you have done the backup of data already. Because format a drive will erase all the documents on it, so be careful!
Fix RAW USB drive without formatting
Method 1: CHKDSK
- Connect your RAW USB drive to the computer.
- Type CMD in the taskbar of your Windows search bar
- Choose Run as Administrator once you right-click on the cmd.exe listed in your search results.
- Type chkdsk X: /f when you see the command prompt in the CMD window and press Enter.
If chkdsk is not available for the RAW drive, you should consider formatting the RAW USB flash drive.
Fix RAW USB drive with formatting
Method 1: File Explorer
How to repair RAW USB drive with File Explorer:
- Make sure your RAW USB drive is connected to your PC.
- Double-click the Computer (or This PC on Windows 10) on your desktop to open the File Explorer.
- Right-click on the RAW USB drive and choose the Format option.
- In the formatting utility, choose the FAT32 File system, check the box next to Quick Format, and click Start.
- Check whether the process of formatting USB drive is complete.
Method 2: Disk Management
Disk Management tool comes with Windows computer, and helps people deal with the most common disk-related issues, such as fixing file system errors. Here's how to fix RAW USB flash drives using Disk Management:
- Go to Computer > Manage > Storage > Disk Management and find your RAW USB drive.
- Right-click the faulty drive and click Format.
- Choose the file system you want on the dialogue box (you can convert RAW to FAT32 or NTFS, it is up to your preference), check Perform a quick format and click OK.
Bonus part: How to avoid RAW USB flash drive issue?
Here are some tips to help you avoid most RAW USB drive issues in the future.
- Back up your data: You should back up your important files and documents stored on the drive to other storage devices regularly. In case the RAW USB flash drive issue happens again, since you backed up your data, your files on the faulty device will not be inaccessible anymore. You can read and write them on another device.
- Good working habits always help: Always safely eject your USB drives after you work on it. It cuts the possibility of data loss and prevents your drive from being physically damaged. That's the easiest way to free you from recovering RAW USB drives.
In this article, we walk you through ways to recover files from RAW USB drives, and explain the causes and symptoms of RAW USB flash drive issues. But this problem happens frequently. If you want to safeguard your lost data, don't hesitate to use iBoysoft Data Recovery!
FAQ about RAW USB flash drive
Generally speaking, A RAW USB drive is a USB drive with a corrupted file system. Moreover, if the file system of your USB drive is not compatible with the operating system, then the OS will recognize it as a RAW USB drive by default.
1. Make sure your RAW USB drive is connected to your PC.
2. Double-click the Computer (or This PC on Windows 10) on your desktop to open the File Explorer.
3. Right-click on the RAW USB drive and choose the Format option.
4. In the formatting utility, choose the NTFS File system, check the box next to Quick Format, and click Start.
The RAW file system is not a standard file system like FAT or NTFS, and Windows can't recognize the RAW file system. So Windows can't read the RAW file system either.