Paragon NTFS for Mac is a driver used to bridge the gap of NTFS write issue between macOS and NTFS file system. It enables you to write, edit, move, copy and paste, and delete files on Microsoft NTFS formatted drives on Mac fast, seamlessly, and easily.
We will get you a thorough understanding of Paragon NTFS for Mac, including its features, macOS compatibility, price, methods of installation and uninstallation, positives and negatives, etc. Also, select the best alternatives of Paragon NTFS for Mac for you.
- Allow read-write NTFS drives on a Mac.
- Offer high write speeds.
- Support latest macOS Big Sur 11.4.
- Support both ARM-based and Intel-based Mac machines.
- One license for a single seat.
- Very hard to uninstall.
- Pay for the major updates.
- No support for older OS X versions.
- Not support write to encrypted NTFS drives.
First glance of Paragon NTFS for Mac
When you open Paragon NTFS for Mac, you'll find all your detected volumes listed on the left sidebar, including NTFS volumes and volumes formatted with other file systems. On the right window, you'll see more details about a selected volume, a toolbar and customizable settings.
There are four features for users to manage the volumes:
- Mount/Unmount: Let the system mount or unmount the volume so that you can or cannot access the volume.
- Verify: To check the errors on your volume and fix certain tiny errors on the volume. It's similar to the First Aid utility on Mac.
- Erase: Clean up the content on the drive and format it to a new file system, including NTFS, FAT32, HFS+, ExFAT.
- Startup: Set a volume as the default startup volume (Only available for volumes that contain operating system files).
Moreover, it also provides three preferences:
- Enable Spotlight Indexing: To quickly locate all the files on the volume.
- Mount in Read-only mode: Change the volume to read only mode.
- Do not mount automatically: Do not mount the volume the next it connected to your Mac.
NTFS for Mac by Paragon Software offers a simple and clean interface, so that average users know how to operate it easily.
Full NTFS read-write support
Full NTFS read-write access is the key function of an NTFS driver. Paragon NTFS for Mac software can solve the NTFS write limitation issue on Mac. It's true that you can mount your NTFS drives on Mac in read-write mode automatically with the Paragon NTFS driver.
Then, all NTFS write operations are possible. You can rename, delete, edit, or create files on the NTFS drive in Finder. And you can also move files from your Mac to the NTFS drive smoothly.
Stable and fast data transferring
Paragon NTFS for Mac supports transferring a variety of files at a time stably, ranging from kilobytes to gigabytes. The data transfer rate of Paragon NTFS for Mac is fast. Tested on 2016 MacBook Pro with SSD drive, its disk read and write speeds are faster than native that of HFS+'s.
However, when transferring large files (between 200GB to 300GB), the process will get stuck occasionally. And the transfer rate will slow down. Maybe, Paragon NTFS for Mac has some compatible problems. Or it's related to the read-write speed that an HDD or SSD itself can support.
Allow management of all connected disks
True, Paragon NTFS for Mac is designed to read-write NTFS drives with Mount/Unmount, Erase, and Verify functions. But it also works for managing native drives and other external hard drives, flash drives, and USB drives.
Although Paragon NTFS for Mac seems like a disk management tool, it doesn't have powerful disk management functionality indeed.
macOS compatibility of Paragon NTFS for Mac
So far, many third-party NTFS drivers haven't support macOS Big Sur and Apple Silicon M1 Mac. But Paragon NTFS for Mac brings these benefits to you.
It supports macOS Big Sur, macOS Catalina, macOS Mojave, macOS High Sierra, and macOS Sierra. Unfortunately, it won't support OS X 10.11 EI Capitan and earlier anymore.
Edition and pricing of Paragon NTFS for Mac
Microsoft NTFS for Mac by Paragon Software only supplies one edition, pricing $19.95. Each edition is for one single-seat license. In other words, it's only for one Mac.
If you purchase two licenses, the unit price is $18.95. And the unit price for three licenses is $17.95. For every new user, a 10-day free trial is available.
How to use Paragon NTFS for Mac
You should install Paragon NTFS for Mac first. Here are the steps of how to install Paragon NTFS for Mac on your Mac.
- Download Microsoft NTFS for Mac by Paragon Software on your Mac.
- Double-click the Install NTFS for Mac button on the pop-up window.
- Click Open on the pop-up confirmation alert.
- Check the Software License Agreement and click Next to install a new helper tool. If required, type your admin password.
- Choose the free trial or activate Paragon NTFS for Mac.
- Restart your Mac.
After your Mac reboot, open Paragon NTFS for Mac. Connect your NTFS drive to the Mac, it will be automatically mounted.
Then, your NTFS drive will list in Finder under Locations. You can move, edit, copy, delete files on your NTFS drive.
How to uninstall Paragon NTFS for Mac
Usually, uninstall a third-party app on Mac is easy. But to clean uninstall Paragon NTFS for Mac, it's very complex and tough.
You cannot uninstall the Paragon NTFS for Mac by moving it to the Trash. Or even if you click on the app and hold for seconds in Launchpad, there won't show any icon for removing.
To uninstall Paragon NTFS for Mac, you should force quit it in Activity Monitor first. Then, remove it from the Applications Folder or from System Preferences. And finally, empty your Trash.
In fact, though you remove Paragon NTFS for Mac from your Trash, it still exists on your Mac. This software will be deeply integrated into your macOS since you install it. You need to use command lines to completely clean it from your Mac.
So, think twice before installing Paragon NTFS for Mac on your Mac.
Is there any alternative for Paragon NTFS for Mac
Of course. iBoysoft NTFS for Mac and iBoysoft DiskGeeker are the best alternatives to Paragon NTFS for Mac.
1. iBoysoft NTFS for Mac: One license for 3 Macs
iBoysoft NTFS for Mac is available for native, secure, and fast read-write access to NTFS drives on Mac. It is highly integrated with Finder and Disk Utility, which enables your NTFS drives equivalent to native APFS and HFS+ drives.
Features of iBoysoft NTFS for Mac:
- Allow full read-write NTFS drives on Mac.
- Support Apple Silicon M1 Mac.
- Available for Intel + T2 Security Chip & other Intel-based Mac models.
- Support macOS 11 Big Sur - macOS 10.13 High Serria.
- One license for 3 Macs.
- Free update.
- Free trial available.
- Easy to install and uninstall.
- Fast Read-write Speed.
2. iBoysoft DiskGeeker: Read/write BitLocker encrypted NTFS drives
iBoysoft DiskGeeker is a professional, efficient and easy to use Mac disk utility tool. With this software, you can mount NTFS drives on Mac in read-write mode and read/write BitLocker encrypted drives. Moreover, it also helps you manage USB drives, flash drives, network drives, and other hard drives.
Features of iBoysoft DiskGeeker:
- Support read-write NTFS drives on Mac.
- Read/write BitLocker encrypted drives on Mac.
- Map network drives with types of protocols.
- Unified management of a variety of disks.
- Easy to operate.
- Offer a free trial.
Maybe you've learned that NTFS-write support can be enabled via the Mac terminal. However, Apple hasn't verified the security of this way till now. It may bring some problems to your Mac.
Using the professional NTFS for Mac software is the most trustworthy choice. Paragon NTFS for Mac supplies no limitations for read-write an NTFS drive on Mac. And Paragon Software also keeps its NTFS for Mac updated with the latest macOS updates.
If you want to get some replacements of Paragon NTFS for Mac, iBoysoft NTFS for Mac is an ideal one. It embraces the mainly advanced features of Paragon NTFS for Mac and also has some other well-designed functions.