Summary: This article tells how to recover deleted/disappeared notes on Mac. Among the measures, recovering deleted notes with iBoysoft Data Recovery for Mac is the most efficient way.
Apple's Notes is a useful notetaking app on Mac computers and iPhones. It helps you save a lot of important information, such as links, memos, passwords, etc. However, now you find some or even all notes are disappeared from the Notes app.
Maybe you've deleted them by mistake or they are missing after you upgrade to macOS Big Sur. Whatever the cause is, this post offers useful methods to recover your deleted notes on Mac. Then, your disappeared notes will get back.
How to recover deleted notes on Mac?
- 1. Recover deleted notes on Mac with data recovery software (Quickest & most efficient)
- 2. Recover deleted notes on mac from the Recently Deleted folder
- 3. Recover deleted notes on Mac using iCloud
- 4. Recover deleted notes on Mac from Time Machine backup
Recover deleted notes on Mac with data recovery software
Using a data recovery tool is the simplest and quickest way to recover deleted files on Mac, including your notes. Here, iBoysoft Data Recovery for Mac is recommended. It is a top-ranking, professional, and safe data recovery tool.
This Mac Data Recovery software helps recover lost documents, emails, photos, videos, and other types of files from your corrupted Mac hard drive. Besides, it also allows recovering files from external hard drives on Mac.
You can follow the steps below to recover deleted notes on Mac with iBoysoft Data Recovery for Mac:
- Free download and install iBoysoft Data Recovery for Mac on your Mac computer.
- Select the Macintosh HD - Data volume or the startup volume (Usually named macOS) and click Scan.
Note: The Macintosh HD - Data volume usually stores the user data, including your data on the Notes application. If you are using macOS Mojave or earlier, there's no Macintosh HD - Data volume. The user data is stored in the startup volume, which is usually named macOS by default.
- Find the deleted notes from the filter of the path, type, or time and preview them.
- Select the deleted notes and click Recover to save your notes to another destination.
Now, your notes are available again. Very easy, right?
Recover deleted notes on mac from the Recently Deleted folder
Usually, the deleted notes are kept in your Recently Deleted folder in Notes within 30 days. So, if you've deleted your notes in no more than 30 days, you can try to restore them from the Recently Deleted folder.
- Open the Notes app from the Dock.
- Select the Recently Deleted folder from the left sidebar on your Notes app.
- Right-click the desired note and choose Move to > On My Mac.
Then, the deleted notes will be restored to your Notes.
Recover deleted Notes on Mac using iCloud
iCloud is popular cloud storage used to sync files among your Apple devices. If you have synced your data with iCloud, you can use it to restore your disappeared notes.
- Open the Apple menu > System Preferences > iCloud.
- Uncheck the Notes option. This is to prevent the files on iCloud from being deleted as well.
- Login to iCloud.com using your Apple ID and password.
- Double-click Notes to open it and save your disappeared notes.
Note: Remember to check the Notes option in iCloud to enable it to continue syncing your Notes.
Recover deleted notes from Time Machine backup
Time Machine is a built-in feature in Mac OS that enables you to back up important files on your Mac. If you have the habit of backing up your Mac at regular times, you can use the Time Machine backups to find the lost notes.
However, if your notes are deleted after your latest Time Machine backup, they couldn't be captured in the backup. In such a case, restoring the disappeared notes with data recovery software is the right way.
Moreover, recover deleted notes from Time Machine backup may overwrite the recently saved notes. Therefore, you need to back up the latest notes via copying and pasting them to another destination or exporting them as PDF.
Then, you can follow the steps below to recover disappeared notes from your recent Time Machine backup:
- Close Notes and disable iCloud syncing for your Notes app.
- Connect your external storage device that has the Time Machine backups to your Mac.
- Click the Time Machine icon on the upper right corner of your screen and select Enter Time Machine.
- Browse the files and find out your desired notes. This will take some time. Then click Restore.
After retrieving the lost notes, you need to turn on Notes in iCloud for syncing.
From this post, you can find that there are multiple measures for recovering deleted notes on your Mac. But as you can see, it has some limitations or preconditions if you want to recover deleted notes from the Recently Deleted folder, iCloud, and Time Machine backup.
Different from the three ways, recovering deleted or disappeared notes with data recovery software (like iBoysoft Data Recovery for Mac) is the quickest and most efficient way. It offers the highest recovery rate for your deleted notes.
1. Where are notes stored on Mac?
You can open Finder and click the Go option in the top menu bar. Then select Go To Folder and enter the path below. That is where your notes are stored on your Mac:
2. Can you get back deleted notes?
Yes, you can recover the deleted notes on Mac from the Recently Deleted folder in the Notes app, iCloud.com, and Time Machine backup. Moreover, data recovery software can also help you get back the deleted notes within a few clicks.
3. Do notes automatically save on Mac?
Yes, once you type the information on your Notes app, it will be auto-saved on the app. Meanwhile, the notes are also stored in Finder under this path: