My 126GB external hard drive shows the message "The file and directory is corrupted and unreadable" when I try to open it. Could you please let me know what's wrong with my external hard drive? I don't have any backup and it's so terrible to lose all data stored in it. Please help if you know how to fix corrupted external hard drive.
With the widely use of external hard drive, it's more likely for users to encounter external hard drive related trouble. Among those troubles, external hard drive corruption is one of the most frequently happened. A corrupted external hard drive usually shows the following symptoms:
- "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable"
- "Disk needs to be formatted"
- "You need to format the disk in drive before you can use it"
- Not recognized or showing up while plugging into PC
- 0 bytes used space, 0 bytes free space
Causes and solutions for corrupted external hard drive
External hard drive can be damaged and become corrupted due to various reasons, such as file system error, bad sectors, virus attack, sudden ejection or other improper operation. In general, the corruption can be divided into logical corruption and physical corruption.
For a logically damaged drive, you can firstly recover data from corrupted external hard drive with data recovery software and then repair it by formatting. But for a physically damaged drive, data recovery software is no longer helpful, and you should send it to a local data recovery company for help.
Tips: If you can't distinguish your hard drive is physically damaged or logically damaged, just try data recovery software firstly and then turn to local technicians for help if you failed with data recovery software.
How to repair corrupted external hard drive?
To fix corrupted external hard drive, it should be noted that you can't format it before recovering data. Otherwise, the original data might be overwritten by new data and become unrecoverable. What's more, once you found your hard drive becomes corrupted, you'd better stop making any further operation on it and perform data recovery as soon as possible.
To recover data from corrupted external hard drive, you need iBoysoft Data Recovery, a professional data recovery software that can efficiently recover data from corrupted external hard drive, formatted external hard drive, RAW external hard drive, unrecognized external hard drive, inaccessible exteral hard drive, not formatted external hard drive, recover files deleted or lost from external hard drive, recover data from deleted or lost partition, etc.
Step 1: Recover data from corrupted external hard drive with iBoysoft Data Recovery
1. Download & install iBoysoft Data Recovery on your computer.
2. Connect the corrupted external hard drive to your computer.
3. Launch iBoysoft Data Recovery and choose the corrupted external hard drive.
4. Click "Next" to search for lost files on the corrupted external hard drive.
5. Preview the searching results. After that, select the lost data and click the "Recover" button to get them back.
Lastly, have a check to ensure all lost data have been recovered.
iBoysoft Data Recovery can also recover data from corrupted hard drive, corrupted USB flash drive, corrupted SD card, corrupted pen drive, inaccessible hard drive, recover deleted files even if emptied from Recycle Bin, etc.
Step 2: Fix corrupted external hard drive by formatting
After all lost files have been successfully restored, you can fix the corrupted external hard drive by formatting it to NTFS/FAT32/exFAT file system. Corrupted external hard drive will be repaired after format completes.
1. Go to My Computer or Disk Management, and right click the corrupted external hard drive to select "Format".
2. Set format information, like file system, allocation unit size, volume label and format options (the default format option is Quick Format).
3. Click "Start", the format operation will be completed soon.
Still have questions?