Written byJenny Zeng
How to Download/Create macOS Monterey DMG File?
macOS Monterey, the successor of Big Sur, introduced several key and new features to improve user experience, productivity, and inter-device connectivity, including Universal Control, Live Text, Focus Mode, Shortcuts, AirPlay to Mac, and more.
If you want to take advantage of its features, you might want to install macOS Monterey on your Mac or Windows PC through virtual machines like VMware or VirtualBox. Regardless, the macOS Monterey DMG file will come in handy.
In this article, we'll provide the direct link to download the macOS Monterey DMG file and teach you how to create the latest version of the macOS Monterey DMG file yourself.
Table of Contents:
- 1. What is a macOS Monterey DMG file?
- 2. How to download the macOS Monterey DMG file directly?
- 3. How to create the latest version of the macOS Monterey DMG file?
- 4. FAQs about macOS Monterey DMG files
What is a macOS Monterey DMG file?
A macOS Monterey DMG file is a disk image file that contains the installer for macOS Monterey. It's essentially a digital replica of a physical disk, like a hard drive or CD, but in a single, compressed file. When you open a DMG file, it mounts as though you had inserted a physical drive.
A macOS Monterey DMG file is mainly used for installing Monterey on one or multiple computers, creating macOS Monterey bootable installers, or installing Monterey on a virtual machine.
How to download the macOS Monterey DMG file directly?
Here's the direct download link for the macOS Monterey 12.7 DMG file on Google Drive and MediaFire. You can choose either one of them to get the DMG file.
macOS Monterey 12.7 DMG File Download on Google Drive (From Techrechard)
macOS Monterey 12.7 DMG File Download on MediaFire (From Techrechard)
Share the information to help more users get the macOS Monterey direct download link.
How to create the latest version of the macOS Monterey DMG file?
If you have a Mac, you can create the latest version (12.7.1 for now) of the macOS Monterey DMG file with the following steps:
Step 1: Download the macOS Monterey full installer.
The easiest way to download the macOS Monterey full installer is from Mr. Macintosh. It allows you to download the pkg file of macOS Monterey, no matter if your Mac is compatible with it or not.
Open this link to download the latest version of macOS Monterey, then open the downloaded InstallAssistant.pkg file to install the macOS Monterey installer in your Applications folder.
Step 2: Create a macOS Monterey DMG file with Disk Utility or Terminal
The next step is to create the macOS Monterey DMG file with the installer. There are two ways to achieve that. You can use Disk Utility to create a simple DMG file or run Terminal to make a bootable macOS Monterey DMG file.
Create the macOS Monterey DMG file via Disk Utility:
- Create a new folder on your Mac and name it Monterey.
- Right-click the macOS Monterey installer in your Applications folder and select "Copy."
- Paste the installer into your new folder.
- Open Disk Utility from your Applications > Utilities folder.
- Choose File > New Image > Image from Folder from the menu bar.
- Select the new folder named Monterey, and click Choose > Save.
- Eject the DMG file after it's created.
Create the bootable macOS Monterey DMG file via Terminal:
- Open Terminal from the Applications > Utilities folder.
- Input the command below and hit Enter to create a new disk image file.hdiutil create -o Monterey -size 15000m -volname Monterey -layout SPUD -fs HFS+J
- Mount the Monterey.dmg file.hdiutil attach Monterey.dmg -noverify -mountpoint /Volumes/Monterey
- Create the bootable macOS Monterey DMG file.sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Monterey.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Monterey –nointeraction
- Type in your admin password and hit Enter.
- Type Y to confirm the erase process.
- Wait until the DMG file is created.
- Eject the "Install macOS Monterey" disk.
- Browse to your user folder to work with the DMG file.
Now that you have the latest version of the macOS Monterey DMG file, don't forget to share this guide to benefit others.
FAQs about macOS Monterey DMG files
To install macOS Monterey from a DMG file, double-click to mount the DMG file, then open the virtual disk to run the installer.
To install macOS Monterey offline, you could try creating a bootable USB installer and booting from it. But bear in mind that it's usually recommended to install macOS at a place where the internet is available because even the bootable installer may still need an internet connection to get firmware and other information specific to your Mac model.
Yes. If your Mac is compatible with macOS Monterey, you can download it from the Mac App Store. If it's not, you can download its pkg file, as we mentioned in this post.