Written byJenny Zeng
How to Download or Create macOS Catalina 10.15.7 DMG File?
Summary: Are you looking for the macOS Catalina DMG download? This article from iBoysoft provides the link to download the macOS Catalina DMG file from Google Drive, and other Cloud services. Besides, you'll also learn how to create a macOS Catalina 10.15.7 DMG file by yourself.
A macOS Catalina DMG file is useful when you want to perform a clean macOS installation, revert to macOS Catalina, or install macOS Catalina in a virtual machine like VirtualBox, VMware, or Parallel. In this post, we'll provide the direct link where you can download the macOS Catalina 10.15 DMG file.
Table of Contents:
- 1. What is a macOS Catalina DMG file?
- 2. How to download macOS Catalina DMG file?
- 3. How to create a macOS Catalina bootable DMG file?
- 4. FAQs about macOS Catalina DMG file
What is a macOS Catalina DMG file?
A macOS Catalina DMG file is a disk image file that contains the installer for macOS Catalina. It can be mounted as a volume within the Finder and behaves much like a physical disk. You can use a macOS Catalina DMG file to create a bootable USB installer or a virtual machine to install or upgrade to macOS Catalina on your Mac or Windows PC.
How to download macOS Catalina DMG file?
If you don't have a compatible Mac from which you can create the macOS Catalina DMG file, you can get it directly from the download link below.
Download macOS Catalina DMG file (Google Drive) (Password: Geekrar.com)
Share this post to benefit others who need a macOS Catalina DMG direct download.
How to create a macOS Catalina DMG file?
If your Mac is compatible with macOS Catalina (Check the compatibility list below), you can create the macOS Catalina DMG file yourself.
Mac models that support macOS Catalina:
- MacBook (Early 2015 or newer)
- MacBook Air (Mid-2012 or newer)
- MacBook Pro (Mid 2012 or newer, Retina display not needed)
- Mac Mini (Late 2012 or newer)
- Mac Pro (Late 2013 or newer)
- iMac (Late 2012 or newer)
- iMac Pro
Step 1: Download the macOS Catalina full installer
Tips: Starting with macOS High Sierra, Apple changed its distribution method for macOS. Instead of providing a DMG (disk image file) that users would download and then mount as a virtual disk to run the installer, Apple began distributing the macOS installer directly as an application through the Mac App Store.
If you're trying to upgrade your Mac to macOS Catalina, you just need to run the installer without needing the DMG file.
To make a macOS Catalina DMG file, you need to convert the installer Apple provides. Download the macOS Catalina 10.15 full installer from the Mac App Store. Tap Download when it asks whether you want to download macOS Catalina 10.15.7.
When the download completes, click the popup window and select "Quit Install macOS" to quit the installation.
Step 2: Create the macOS Catalina DMG file
There are two ways to create the macOS Catalina DMG file, either from Disk Utility or Terminal.
To create the macOS Catalina DMG file in Disk Utility, take the following steps:
- Right-click on your Mac's desktop and choose "New Folder."
- Rename it as macOS Catalina.
- Open the Applications folder.
- Right-click the downloaded macOS Catalina installer, and click Copy.
- Open the new folder, right-click on the empty space, and click "Paste Item."
- Launch Disk Utility.
- From the menu bar, click File > New Image > Image from Folder.
- Select the "macOS Catalina" folder you created before and click Choose.
- Tap the Save button.
- Wait while Disk Utility is creating the DMG file.
To create a bootable macOS Catalina DMG file in Terminal, use the steps below:
- Open Terminal.
- Run the command below to create an empty DMG file.hdiutil create -o Catalina -size 15000m -volname Catalina -layout SPUD -fs HFS+J
- Mount the DMG file.hdiutil attach Catalina.dmg -noverify -mountpoint /Volumes/Catalina
- Create a bootable macOS Catalina DMG file.sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Catalina –nointeraction
- Type your admin password and hit Enter.
- Eject the DMG file.
Now that you have mastered the way to create a macOS Catalina DMG file on Mac; you can share the steps with other people.
FAQs about macOS Catalina DMG file
You can download the macOS Catalina DMG file from the links provided in this article.
You can download the macOS Catalina installer app from the App Store on a compatible Mac. For the macOS Catalina DMG file, you can get its direct download link in this post.
You can download Catalina on an old Mac that's compatible with it from the App Store. However, if your old Mac isn't supported by macOS Catalina, you need to download its DMG file, as described in this post.