Written byVain Rowe
An Ultimate Guide On How To Repair Corrupted PSD Files (Mac & Windows)
Summary: This post is for people who encounter corrupted PSD file loss, which expounds on how to repair/recover the corrupted PSD file for free via built-in computer utility and paid third-party data recovery software. -- iBoysoft
PSD files are the standard file formats produced by Adobe PhotoShop. You can't be unaware of it if you are special designers or photographer who always work with it. Commonly, any work handled on Adobe Photoshop spends mass time and effort, so it's critical once the PSD file goes corrupted.
Typically, a PSD file makes up of a file header, color mode data, image resources, layer and mask information, and image data. As long as the file header and layer structure weren't messed up, there is a possibility to recover some layers of the PSD file rather than losing all changes and modifications made to it.
This article walks you through specific ways to recover some useful layers of corrupted PSD files to maximumly minimize your loss.
Table of Contents:
- 1. Why does a PDS file get corrupted on the computer?
- 2. How to do corrupted PSD file recovery via third-party software?
- 3. How to do PSD corrupted file recovery via the Previous Version?
- 4. FAQ about PSD corrupted file recovery
Why does a PDS file get corrupted on the computer?
Before heading to the fixes on how to recover corrupted PSD files, let's focus on the causes that might make PSD files corrupted. You can have a view real quickly to avoid such scenarios happening again in the future.
- Sudden power shutdown without saving the PSD file.
- File system corruption.
- Photoshop malfunction.
- The trouble with Ram modules and hard disk.
- Virus or malware attack.
Any scenario mentioned above might be the reason resulting in PSD file corruption. No worries yet, following we present the solutions that can recover still working layers of corrupted PSD files in the most commonly found scenarios and we will walk you through them step by step.
How to do corrupted PSD file recovery via third-party software?
Suppose that you have trouble opening a corrupted PSD file or you drop the unfinished PSD file to Mac Trash, iBoysoft Data Recovery is here to help.
iBoysoft Data Recovery Software is powerful recovery software for corrupted PSD files and it is capable of retrieving uncompleted versions of PSD files in the Trash. Its software engineering makes it able to search across your device for the file headers and get it back effortlessly.
This data recovery software allows you to recover emails, photos, documents, videos, PSD files, etc. And it supports many of the main OS from Mac such as macOS 13, macOS 12, macOS 11 (Big Sur), macOS 10.15 (Catalina), macOS 10.14 (Mojave), macOS 10.13 (High Sierra), macOS 10.12 (Sierra), and Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan), 10.10 (Yosemite), 10.9 (Mavericks), 10.8 (Mountain Lion), 10.7 (Lion) and also works on M1, M1 Pro, and M1 Max Mac.
Follow the steps below to recover corrupted PSD files from your device:
- Download and install iBoysoft Data Recovery Software on your computer.
- Launch iBoysoft Data Recovery Software on your device.
- Select the drive that stores the corrupted PSD file and click Search for Lost Data to scan for all the recoverable PSD files.
- Once the scanning finishes, you can view files found on your device in the Complete result on [file system] folder.
- Select a file and click Preview to check the content in advance.
- Tick the box next to the file you want to restore, click Recover, and save it to another drive. Please ensure that you are saving the data to a different place rather to avoid overwritten data.
- Check the recovered files and make sure all the lost PSD files have been restored successfully.
This software also offers full support for Windows 11/10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP, and Windows Server 2019/2016/2012/2008/2003. Hence, you can utilize it on your PC to recover unsaved, deleted, and lost PSD files easily.
If you managed to recover any versions of corrupted PSD files or unsaved/deleted/lost PSD files, why not share your happiness and this software with more people?
How to do PSD corrupted file recovery via the Previous Version?
Returning your Mac to a previous point before the PSD files got corrupted is a workable solution to repair the inaccessible/unopenable PSD files.
How to return a Mac to the previous point?
There are few people who know macOS enables users to put Mac to an earlier state when the PSD file hasn't got corrupted yet through APFS Snapshot. Compared to the PSD file with all modifications and changes being damaged, an earlier version of the PSD file is much more helpful instead. This post guides you to roll back your Mac to the point before the corruption happens:
- Click the Time Machine icon at the upper right corner of your screen.
- Select Enter Time Machine.
- Search for the snapshot point that preserves the files you want.
- Choose the data and click Restore.
Your Mac has returned to the previous state successfully now and you can search for the PSD file. Please save the PSD file well to prevent further data loss.
How to return a PC to the previous version?
Windows backup system enables users to restore the previous versions, including the files stored on it. We'll show you how to repair a corrupted PSD file by rolling back the PC to the previous version.
- Open Adobe Photoshop and right-click the corrupted or damaged PSD file.
- Select Restore previous versions from the dropdown menu.
- Find out an earlier version of the damaged/corrupted PSD file and then select Restore.
- Click Restore.
- Once the restoration completes, go to Photoshop and open the restored PSD file.
- Click OK when you're notified by a message warning you that some text layers containing fonts are missing.
- Check all layers and remark the lost part with layers and save them as a new PSD file.
PSF files get corrupted/damaged definitely drives people crazy since each PSD file spends lots of time and effort. This article offers two solutions to minimize loss, you can perform corrupted PSD file recovery for free or for pay as you wish.
The sudden accident is tough to predict and prevent, so you'd better back up the changes and modifications to any PSD file frequently.
FAQ about PSD corrupted file recovery
Yes, a corrupted PSD file is recoverable. You can use professional data recovery software or recover the corrupted PSD file.
You can either open the temp folder on your device to recover the corrupted PSD file or return your device to an earlier version for the corrupted PSD file recovery for free.