Written byRivers Wong
MacBook for Students: How to Choose a MacBook for Studying?
Boasting a reliable and easy-to-use operating system, superb performance, and high effectiveness, MacBook is becoming the preferred choice of more and more people. If you are still in high school or the middle of college, and thinking of having your own MacBook for school, college, or university work, then you're in the right place!
In this MacBook for students guide, we will walk you through the different models of MacBooks and their configurations, and help you find out which one is the best MacBook for students. Without further ado, let's get started!
Table of Contents:
- 1. MacBook for Students: An overview of MacBook Air
- 2. MacBook for Students: An overview of MacBook Pro
- 3. How to choose the best MacBook for students?
- 4. MacBook for Students: How to get a discount on your Mac?
- 5. FAQ about MacBook for students
MacBook for Students: An overview of MacBook Air
In June 2022, Apple revealed its new M2 chip MacBook Air, which is now available for sale. Besides, the company is still selling its entry-level MacBook Air which features the first Apple Silicon chip, introduced in November 2020. Therefore, there are three models of MacBook Air on Apple's official website now, let's take a look at them.
- M1 chip MacBook Air: MacBook Air with M1 chip offers an 8-Core CPU and 7-Core GPU, 13-inch Retina display with True Tone, two Thunderbolt / USB 4 ports, and a Backlit Magic Keyboard with Touch ID. It starts at $999, but with a student discount, you can get a baseline M1 MacBook Air for $899.
- M2 chip MacBook Air: M2 MacBook Air is a great MacBook for college students. There are two models of MacBook Air with M2 Apple Silicon chip, one with an 8-Core CPU and 8-Core GPU, another with an 8-Core CPU and 10-Core GPU. Both of them offer a 13.6-inch liquid Retina display with True Tone, 1080p FaceTime HD camera, MagSafe 3 charging port, and two Thunderbolt / USB 4 ports. The new M2 model costs $1,099 or $1,199 for students. And students can save $100.
Think this post helpful? Share it with more people!
MacBook for Students: An overview of MacBook Pro
Putting aside the budget, in terms of performance and security, MacBook Pro is the best MacBook for students. As a major branch of the Mac, MacBook Pro offers users a better experience than MacBook Air. Let's take a look at them!
- 13-inch MacBook Pro: The newest Apple Silicon Mac. There are two 13-inch MacBook Pro models, and they are powered by new M2 chips now! Both of them offer an 8-Core CPU and 10-Core GPU, a 13-inch Retina display with True Tone, two Thunderbolt / USB 4 ports, and Touch Bar. Prices start at $1,199 and $1,399.
- 14-inch MacBook Pro: Like the 13-inch MacBook Pro, there are two 14-inch MacBook Pro models. But the 14-inch MacBook Pro is powered by an M1 Pro chip, and it offers a 14-inch liquid Retina XDR display, plus three Thunderbolt 4 ports. Prices start at $1999.
- 16-inch MacBook Pro: In October 2021, Apple updated the 16-inch MacBook Pro. They are also powered by M1 Pro, and M1 Max is also available on a 16-inch MacBook Pro. But for those who require MacBook for students, 16-inch MacBook Pro may beyond the budget. It costs $2,299 for a baseline model of them.
How to choose the best MacBook for students?
After walking through some basics of MacBook, you might wonder how to choose your own MacBook for students. To choose a MacBook for learning, or college work, you should consider the following aspects together.
Budget: Since you are a student, then the budget is the most important thing you should consider before getting your own MacBook. Our recommendation is, to select the best product with a reasonable budget. So, the 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro may be not that suitable for you due to their rather high price.
Particular needs: How you are going to use your MacBook determines which models of MacBook you should pick. If you want to use your MacBook to write your papers or finish homework, then a baseline MacBook Air can perfectly suit your needs. But if you majored in design, or other majors with a high requirement for computers, then you should consider MacBook Pro.
Weight and battery: Since we are talking about MacBook for students, weight and battery cannot be ignored. If you are going to take your device to the college campus, then a lightweight MacBook with long battery life is perfect for you.
Additional features: You must have noticed that different MacBook models have their own additional features, like Touch Bars, HD webcams, Thunderbolt ports, and other types of connections. When it comes to choosing a MacBook for students, you should consider whether these additional features are needed. If not, you don't have to pay extra money for those features you won't use.
Know what to consider before getting your own MacBook for college students? Share it now!
MacBook for Students: How to get a discount on your Mac?
There are various ways to save money when buying a MacBook for college students. After all, our claim is to spend the least amount of money to get the best.
MacBook discounts for students: If you are a registered student, then you are able to get an education discount on a new MacBook when shopping in Apple's Education Store. Moreover, at certain times of the year, with Apple's Back To School deal, you can get Airpods for free after buying a new device. But note that you have to submit proof that you are a student to Apple, then you can access the MacBook discounts for students.
Buy a refurbished Mac: Apple's refurbished store offers ex-display, returned, and previous-generation Macs at a discount with a one-year warranty. If you only care about the performance of the MacBook and the money you spent on it, then a refurbished Mac would suit you.
FAQ about MacBook for students
The best Mac for students depends on the students themselves and their needs. The most important thing is, there is no absolute best MacBook for students, there's only the most suitable MacBook for students.
A MacBook is absolutely worth it for a student. Even a baseline MacBook model can meet students' needs perfectly. With an easy-to-use operating system, high stability, and security, MacBook has become the most popular laptop in recent years.