Written byJocelyn Huang
Five Ways to Uninstall TeamViewer on Mac
Summary: This post will walk you through five ways to uninstall Teamviewer on your Mac completely. But speaking of the easiest and most convenient way, it is highly recommended to use iBoysoft MagicMenu, which removes all the related leftovers with just a few clicks, significantly saving your time and effort.
As a popular remote access software, TeamViewer allows you to remotely control the other machine running it as well. This software can be employed on Windows, Mac, and Linux computers, even mobile devices, bringing great convenience to our work lives, especially during the pandemic lockdown when most people had to work at home.
However, some people want to uninstall Teamviewer since they use it less after the COVID-19 pandemic or need to free more storage space for other software. Whatever the uninstall reason is, this post can help you remove the TeamViewer application from your Mac easily, quickly and thoroughly.
Here is a quick overview of five available installation options to be discussed in this post.
|Use TeamViewer's built-in uninstaller
|Quick and easy. This option only applies to those applications with the built-in uninstalling function.
|Only applies to the situation where you downloaded TeamViewer from the App Store. It cannot remove all the app's residual files.
|Cannot remove all the app's residual files.
|Use iBoysoft MagicMenu
|Easy to use and completely remove the TeamViewer app and its residual files. This option is highly recommended!
|Remove the TeamViewer app but not all the residual files, and require extra caution and technical knowledge about this command tool.
For more details about these installation methods, please keep reading.
Table of Contents:
- 1. How to uninstall TeamViewer via in-app uninstaller
- 2. How to uninstall TeamViewer via Launchpad (if downloaded from the APP Store)
- 3. How to uninstall TeamViewer via Finder
- 4. How to uninstall TeamViewer via Terminal
- 5. How to uninstall TeamViewer easily via iBoysoft MagicMenu
- 6. Tips about Permanently Uninstall TeamViewer - Delete Account
- 7. FQAs about how to uninstall TeamViewer on Mac
How to uninstall TeamViewer via in-app uninstaller
Luckily, TeamViewer was born with a native uninstaller. That is to say, you can complete the uninstallation within the TeamViewer app while deleting all the related leftovers, including configuration/preference/cache/support files.
Follow the steps below to get the Teamviewer off your Mac.
- Launch TeamViewer on your Mac.
- Successively, click TeamViewer Menu > Preferences > Advanced tab.
- Scroll down to locate the Uninstall button.
- Tick the checkbox next to "Also delete configuration files" to ensure a clean uninstall.
- Click the Uninstall button and confirm the request in the pop-up window to finish the uninstallation.
As to the next four uninstallation methods, it is necessary to ensure the Teamviewer application is already closed before performing the uninstallation process.
How to uninstall TeamViewer via Launchpad (if downloaded from the APP Store)
This method only applies when you have downloaded the TeamViewer application from the APP Store. The detailed steps are as follows.
- Click the Launchpad icon on the dock to open it.
- Find TeamViewer by searching for it in the search box.
- Hold down the TeamViewer icon until all the app icons jiggle.
- Click the X sign shown to remove TeamViewer.
Alternatively, you can also press and hold down the Option key to make app icons jiggle, then click the newly appeared X sign on the TeamViewer icon to finish uninstallation.
If the X sign doesn't appear, it indicates that you have downloaded this application outside the App Store. In this case, please try other methods introduced here.
How to uninstall TeamViewer via Finder
Using Finder is one common way to delete an application, especially for apps downloaded outside the App Store. See below to learn the specific steps for uninstalling TeamViewer via Finder.
- Open Finder and select Applications.
- Scroll down and locate the TeamViewer app.
- Right-click the TeamViewer app and choose Move to Trash.
- Enter the admin password if requested.
- Right-click the Trash icon on the dock and select Empty Trash.
If you have already uninstalled the TeamViewer successfully, please share these methods with more people.
How to uninstall TeamViewer via Terminal
Terminal is a powerful native tool in macOS, allowing users to do many different tasks with one line of command. Meanwhile, it needs you to pay extra attention when entering command codes, since one single and minor input error will cause irrevocable data loss. Here's how to uninstall TeamViewer via the Terminal tool.
- Launch Terminal from Finder > Applications > Utilities.
- Type the following command exactly as it is, and hit the Return key.sudo rm -rf /Applications/TeamViewer.app
- Enter the admin password if requested, and hit the Return key again.
Thus, the Teamviewer app should be deleted successfully. Whether you uninstall the Teamviewer app via Terminal, Launchpad, or Finder, its related leftovers are still scattered in different places on your disk. Therefore, you need to locate the folders where these leftover files exist and delete them manually.
Steps to clear the related leftover files:
- On your desktop, click Go > Go to Folder from the top menu bar.
- In the search field, type ~/Library and press Enter.
- Check the following subfolders and select all files associated with TeamViewer, then click Move to Trash. Finally, empty the trash by right-clicking.
- ~/Library/Application Support
- ~/Library/Saved Application State
How to uninstall TeamViewer easily via iBoysoft MagicMenu
From time to time, the built-in uninstaller somehow doesn't work. The Terminal tool may be beyond your capability due to its requirement for command knowledge and extra caution. Also, you probably think it is troublesome to delete the related leftovers after uninstalling the app via Finder or Launchpad.
At this point, iBoysoft MagicMenu must be your best choice to uninstall the TeamViewer application. This premier right-click enhancer allows you to delete everything from an uninstalled application with just a few clicks.
Step 1: Launch iBoysoft MagicMenu after downloading and installing.
Step 2: In the Extension store, add the Uninstall App extension by clicking the down arrow.
Step 3: Right-click the Teamviewer icon in the Applications folder.
Step 4: Select the Uninstall option and remove this application thoroughly.
iBoysoft MagicMenu is applicable to customize the right-click context menu on Mac with several handy functions, such as creating different kinds of new files, quickly accessing items, moving and copying files, finding duplicate files and similar photos, converting image formats, etc. Try it and you'll be surprised at the efficiency improvement!
Please share with others if you think these uninstallation methods are useful.
Tips about Permanently Uninstall TeamViewer - Delete Account
To permanently uninstall TeamViewer and avoid unnecessary trouble for future use, you should delete the TeamViewer account. Learn more about the concrete steps below.
- Access the website https://web.teamviewer.com/ and sign in with your email and password.
- On the lower left corner, click on Settings (the gear icon).
- Click on "Go to your profile's settings".
- On the right-hand side, under Delete account, click on Delete.
- Confirm the deletion by clicking Delete.
Want to learn how to uninstall other software and programs? Please read this full guide: How to Uninstall Programs on Mac/MacBook [Easy & Fast].
Please share with others if you think this post is helpful.
FQAs about how to uninstall TeamViewer on Mac
Press the Command + Option + Esc key combination. In the appeared Force Quit Applications window, select the TeamViewer app, and then click the Force Quit button.
There are two ways:
1. From the TeamViewer menu, choose Preferences > General. Uncheck the option "Start TeamViewer with System" and then click the Apply button.
2. From the Apple top menu bar, choose System Settings/Preferences > General > Login Items. Select Teamviewer and click the minus button.
Then restart your Mac and TeamViewer won't open up.
If you cannot uninstall TeamViewer from Mac Launchpad, it is possible that you downloaded TeamViewer in some other way instead of from the App Store. You can try iBoysoft Magicmenu to easily uninstall the TeamViewer application.