Written byJenny Zeng
Tuxera NTFS for Mac Could Not Mount External Drives on Mac, How to Fix?
Summary: Tuxera NTFS for Mac could not mount external hard drives? Free download high compatible NTFS driver on macOS Ventura/Monterey/Big Sur to mount, read, write drives on Mac
Microsoft NTFS for Mac by Tuxera has helped many Mac users or cross-platform users solve the external drive read-only issue on Mac. However, nothing is flawless! Sometimes, Tuxera NTFS could not mount external drives on Mac.
And since it happened suddenly, most users may feel panicky when they see the Tuxera NTFS error pop-up window. Don't worry! This post will provide the simple and useful solutions of Tuxera NTFS for Mac not mounting drive.
Guide to Tuxera NTFS for Mac not mounting external drives on Mac:
- 1. Recognize the Tuxera NTFS mounting errors
- 2. Possible causes for Tuxera NTFS for Mac not mounting drive
- 3. How to Fix Tuxera NTFS for Mac not mounting drive on your Mac
- 4. Two alternatives for Tuxera NTFS for Mac
Recognize the Tuxera NTFS mounting errors
"Tuxera NTFS could not mount /dev/disk1s1" error or "Tuxera NTFS could not mount /dev/disk2s1" error is the most common problem for users who use Tuxera NTFS for Mac to mount the drive under NTFS format on Mac.
Your case might be different, but the notifications all begin with "Tuxera NTFS could not mount…" and just like the following picture displays.
And another Tuxera NTFS error named “error while mounting disk2s1: Too many levels of remote in path” also happened frequently when using Tuxera NTFS to mount the drive on Mac.
So what are the potential causes and solutions to get rid of the Tuxera NTFS error of not mounting drive on Mac?
Possible causes for Tuxera NTFS for Mac not mounting drive
When you see the "Tuxera NTFS could not mount /dev/disk2s1" or "error while mounting disk2s1: Too many levels of remote in path" pop-up, it seems that there are input or output errors due to the NTFS file system inconsistency. And some hardware issues could lead to this error, too.
Aside from the NTFS file system inconsistency, the version of NTFS on your hard drive may not be supported by the Tuxera NTFS for Mac currently installed on your Mac. That's why the software failed to mount your NTFS external hard drive.
Moreover, the compatibility of Tuxera NTFS for Mac is not high enough to cover almost all hard drive brands. Because it is developed from a free open-source software named NTFS-3G that is not officially supported by many hard drive companies.
If your Mac is upgraded to macOS Ventura, Tuxera NTFS for Mac has not officially claimed it supports macOS 13.
How to Fix Tuxera NTFS for Mac not mounting drive on your Mac
In the case of the NTFS file system inconsistency, you can use fsck on macOS or run chkdsk /f on Windows to check and repair hard drives. If failed, try to replace it with a highly compatible NTFS driver to mount your NTFS drive on Mac successfully.
Step 1: Uninstall Tuxera NTFS for Mac and remove its extensions
To remove Tuxera NTFS for Mac from your MacBook, do the following:
With administrator permission, you can uninstall Tuxera NTFS for Mac by going to System Preferences > Tuxera NTFS > General. Click “Uninstall Tuxera NTFS…”.
If you can't uninstall this utility with the above steps, here is how to remove it with Terminal, each command line is followed with pressing Enter.
- To uninstall Tuxera NTFS for Mac 2018 or a newer, type in:sudo /Library/Filesystems/tuxera_ntfs.fs/Contents/Resources/Support/uninstall-package.sh
- To uninstall Tuxera NTFS for Mac 2015/2016, type in:sudo /Library/Filesystems/fusefs_txantfs.fs/Contents/Resources/Support/uninstall-package.sh
- To uninstall Tuxera NTFS for Mac 2014 or older, type in:sudo /System/Library/Filesystems/fusefs_txantfs.fs/Support/uninstall-package.sh
Step 2: Mount Drives on Mac using better NTFS for Mac utility
Though Tuxera NTFS for Mac has been upgraded to support macOS 12 Monterey, Big Sur, Catalina, Mojave, and earlier Mac operating systems, it's time to replace it with a better tool since it could not mount your drive in read/write mode now.
Two alternatives for Tuxera NTFS for Mac
1: iBoysoft NTFS for Mac
iBoysoft NTFS for Mac is one of the best NTFS for Mac apps that can enable write permission to NTFS drives on macOS 13/12/11/10.15/10.14/10.13 and earlier. It's the first NTFS mounter that is fully compatible with Apple Silicon M1, M1 Pro, M1 Max, and M2 Mac, mounting NTFS drives with fast and stable speed.
Best NTFS for Mac - iBoysoft NTFS for Mac
- Read and write NTFS volumes on Mac
- Mount and unmount NTFS volumes
- Repair NTFS file system errors
- Erase data on NTFS disks
- Reformat disks to NTFS on Mac
- Fully integrated with the Finder
- Compatible with new Apple Silicon M1, M1 Pro, M1 Max, M2
- Support macOS 13/12/11/10.15/10.14/10.13
Read-only & risk-free
- Download and install iBoysoft NTFS for Mac on your Mac computer.
- Connect the external hard drive that Tuxera NTFS could not mount to your Mac.
- Launch this NTFS drive mounter and it will enable NTFS read-write access on Mac.
2. iBoysoft DiskGeeker
iBoysoft DiskGeeker is an easy-to-use Mac disk management tool that offers full read-write access to NTFS drives. Once installed, it automatically mounts the NTFS drive on Mac with native support. With iBoysoft DiskGeeker, you can easily read and write data to NTFS drives on Intel-based Macs and M1 Macs (M1 Pro & M1 Mac chips) running macOS 12/11/10.15/10.14/10.13.
Apart from being a better NTFS driver, iBoysoft DiskGeeker empowers its users to:
- Prevent virus attacks.
- Clean junk files on drives.
- Quickly clone the contents on a disk.
- Manage network drives.
- Unlock BitLocker-encrypted NTFS drives.
- Encrypt drives with BitLocker or FileVault.
- Mount and unmount external drives and network drives with a single click.
- Check and diagnose drive errors.
Tutorial to mount NTFS drive on Mac with iBoysoft DiskGeeker:
- Download and install iBoysoft DiskGeeker on Mac.
- Launch iBoysoft DiskGeeker and connect the NTFS drive that Tuxera NTFS could not mount to your Mac.
- Write to NTFS drive after getting notified that it has been mounted successfully.
Either iBoysoft NTFS for Mac or iBoysoft DiskGeeker shall enable your NTFS drive in read-write mode on Mac now. And lucky for you, no more worries about Tuxera NTFS for Mac not mounting drive.