How to fix/repair "APFS volume superblock is invalid" error?
I have just experienced my first APFS corruption. Corruption happened immediately after the creation of a new Volume. When I check with Disk Utility, I got the result that "APFS volume superblock is invalid". Is there anyone know what that means? Any idea to fix this issue?
Disk Utility is quite helpful to fix minor errors on our Mac, but some relatively serious errors can't be solved with it. When we check drive with Disk Utility, one of the error messages that we may get is "APFS volume superblock is invalid". To understand what this means, we should firstly know what is superblock.
Background information of superblock
Superblock is a record of some basic characteristics of file system, including its size, block size, empty and filled blocks and their respective counts, the disk block map and usage information.
When we access any file on a drive, we need have access to the drive's superblock. If a drive's superblock is corrupted or damaged, the drive can't be mounted and files on it can't be accessed.
Two steps to fix/repair "APFS volume superblock is invalid" error
When the superblock of our APFS volume is invalid, files on the volume can't be accessed any more. For the security of our files, we should firstly recover lost data from the APFS volume, and then find method to fix it.
Step 1: Recover lost data from APFS volume whose superblock is invalid with iBoysoft Mac Data Recovery
iBoysoft Mac Data Recovery is a free & professional APFS data recovery software that can recover lost data from APFS volume when its superblock is invalid, recover deleted/lost files from APFS drive,
Aside from above, iBoysoft Mac Data Recovery can also recover deleted/lost files from FAT32 drives, exFAT drives, HFS+ drives, recover lost data from formatted, unmountable, unreadable, corrupted hard drive, external hard drive, USB flash drive, SD card, pen drive, etc.
Tutorial to recover lost data from APFS volume whose superblock is invalid with iBoysoft Mac Data Recovery
1. Launch iBoysoft Mac Data Recovery.
2. Select the APFS volume which has "APFS volume superblock is invalid" error and click "Next" button to scan lost files.
3. Preview the searching results, choose files we need, and click "Recover" to get them back.
4. Have a check to ensure we have got all lost data back.
Step 2: Fix "APFS volume superblock is invalid" error by reformatting
1. Launch Disk Utility.
2. Select the APFS drive which has "APFS volume superblock is invalid" error on the left part of the window.
3. Click Erase on the top of the Disk Utility window.
4. Complete related information (name, format, scheme), then click Erase button.
Still have questions?