Written byConnie Yang
How to Make a Copy of Word Document - 2024 Guide
Summary: This guide offers stepwise ways to make a copy of a Word document on Mac, Windows, and online. Moreover, it also shows you how to duplicate a Word document in Microsoft Word, OneDrive, and Office 365. You can use iBoysoft MaigcMenu to right-click to quickly create a duplicate of a specific Word .doc.
Microsoft Word is one of the most popular word-processing programs that allows you to create and edit documents. You may wonder how to make a copy of a Word document for backup, edition, sharing, original file protection, etc.
As it happens, this post is a comprehensive tutorial about how to duplicate a Word document. It covers the stepwise ways of making a copy of Word .doc on Mac, Windows, and online. Moreover, it will also guide you to save a copy of a Word document in apps such as Microsoft Word, OneDrive, Office 365, etc. Let's move on to get more details.
Overview of ways to make a copy of a Word document:
|Duplicate a Word document on a Mac
|1. Right-click > Duplicate.
2. Select the file and press Command + D.
3. Select the document and click File > Duplicate on the Finder menu.
4. Use Command C and Command V.
5. Press down Option while dragging the file.
6. Use iBoysoft MagicMenu to set the document as a template option on the context menu.
|Duplicate a Word document on Windows
|1. Use Ctrl C and Ctrl V.
2. Right-click > Copy and then right-click > Paste.
|Duplicate a Word document online
|Open the document in Word Online, then click File > Save as.
|Duplicate a Word document in Microsoft Word
|On Mac: Click the three dots on the Microsoft Word toolbar > Save As, then click the Save button.
On Windows: Click the File tab on the Microsoft Word toolbar > Recent, then right-click the file > Open a copy.
|Duplicate a Word document in OneDrive
|Click the three dots next to the file in OneDrive > Copy to > select a location in OneDrive > Copy here.
|Duplicate a Word document in Office 365
|Open Word and the file, click File on the toolbar, choose Save as > Save as or Download a Copy.
If these ways are helpful for you, share them with others.
Table of Contents:
- 1. How to duplicate a Word document on a Mac?
- 2. How to make a copy of a Word document on Windows?
- 3. How to make a copy of a Word document online?
- 4. How to duplicate a Word document in Microsoft Word?
- 5. How to make a copy of a Word document in OneDrive?
- 6. How to make a copy of a Word document in Office 365?
- 7. FAQs about how to make a copy of a Word document
How to duplicate a Word document on a Mac?
There are various ways available for you to make a copy of a Word .doc on MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and other Mac models. You can select the one you prefer to use.
Here's how to duplicate a Word document on the Mac desktop or in Finder:
Way 1: Right-click the Word document and then select Duplicate from the right-click menu.
Way 2: Choose the Word .doc and press Command + D
Way 3: Select the Word file and go to the top Finder menu, click File > Duplicate.
Way 4: Copy and paste the file on Mac. Select the Word document and press Command + C, then go to the destination and press Command + V to paste the copy of the Word .doc there.
Way 5: Hold down the Option (or Alt) key and then drag the Word file to the destination.
Way 6: Right-click the blank place in Finder or on the desktop and then select New File > the target Word .doc. (This way requires iBoysoft MagicMenu)
If you need to make copies of a particular Word document frequently, you are suggested to use iBoysoft MagicMenu.
This right-click enhancer allows you to right-click the blank place in Finder or on the desktop to quickly create a Word document on Mac or duplicate a specific Word .doc. With it, you no longer need to find the target Word file first and then copy it. That greatly simplifies your workflow, improves work efficiency, and saves a lot of time.
To use iBoysoft MagicMenu to right-click to duplicate a Word .doc on your Mac, you need to add the specific Word .doc to your right-click menu first:
- Download, install, and open iBoysoft MagicMenu on your Mac.
- Select New File on the app's main interface and then click the add button (+) on the right panel.
- Click the add folder icon on the pop-up, this will open a Finder window to enable you to select the target Word document as the template. Then, enter a name for the document and click Import to add it to your right-click menu.
Now, whenever you right-click the blank place on your desktop or of a folder in Finder at any time, select New File > the Word document you added to duplicate it immediately.
Share this neat right-click enhancer with others who want to set specific documents as templates in the context menu.
How to make a copy of a Word document on Windows?
To make a copy of a Word .doc on Windows 11/10/8/7, you can follow one of these ways:
Way 1: Select the Word file and press down Ctrl + C, move your cursor to the location where you want to save the copy of the document, and then press Ctrl + V to finish copying.
Way 2: Right-click the Word document you prepare to duplicate and then select Copy from the context menu. Then, right-click on the destination where you want to put the duplicate of the Word file and choose Paste.
How to make a copy of a Word document online?
You need to use the online version of Microsoft Word to duplicate a Word document online on your Mac or PC.
- Open the target Word document in Word Online.
- Click on the File tab in the upper left corner.
- Choose the Save as button from the left sidebar, and then click Save as to save a copy of the document on OneDrive. Also, you can click Download a Copy to download a copy of the file to your Mac or Windows computer.
How to duplicate a Word document in Microsoft Word?
If you're editing a Word document in Microsoft Word and want to duplicate it, you can follow these steps:
On a Mac:
- Click the three dots on the top toolbar of the Microsoft Word window.
- Select Save As.
- Click the Save button on the top toolbar, a pop-up will appear. Enter a name and choose a destination for the file, then click Save.
Note: For a new Word document that still hasn't been saved, you need to click the Save button to save it first before copying it.
On a Windows computer:
- Click the File tab on the top toolbar of the Microsoft Word window.
- Select the Recent tab and move your cursor over the target file on the list.
- Right-click the file and select Open a copy.
How to make a copy of a Word document in OneDrive?
If you save a Word document in OneDrive and want to make a copy of it there, you need to:
- Find the Word file you want to copy on the OneDrive web program.
- Click the three dots next to it and then choose Copy to.
- Select a location in OneDrive to save the duplicate and then click Copy here.
How to make a copy of a Word document in Office 365?
Duplicating a Word file in Office 365 is also easy. Here are the steps:
- Open Word in Office 365 and the target document.
- Click the File tab in the upper left corner.
- Select Save as from the left sidebar, then click Save as to copy it online, or select Download a Copy to save it to your computer.
If you think this post is fully deserved reading, share it with more people.
FAQs about how to make a copy of a Word document
You can right-click the Word document and select Duplicate to save a copy of it on a Mac, while on a PC, right-click the document and select Copy, then right-click on the destination and select Paste to duplicate it.
On a Mac, drag your cursor to select all your documents, then right-click on them and select Duplicate. On a Windows computer, drag the cursor to choose all your files, then press Ctrl + C. Then, move to the location where you want to store the duplicates and press Ctrl + V.