What is extFS for Mac? Is It Safe to Use extFS for Mac?

What is extFS for Mac? Is it safe to use Paragon extFS for Mac? I wanted to use my ext4 external hard drive on my Mac but failed. After searching on Google, I learned that I need to use extFS for Mac by Paragon. I also want to know whether there’s a way to access and write to my extFS hard drive without using third-party software.

extFS is short for ext FS or extended file system. It is the primary file system of Linux and now there are ext4, ext3, and ext2 file systems. Every operating system has its main file system, and usually, the main file system is not compatible with other systems. For example, Windows doesn’t support APFS, the primary file system of macOS. macOS doesn’t fully support NTFS, the main file system of Windows. Thus, NTFS for Mac is rolled out to help you read and write to NTFS drives on Mac.

Likewise, extFS is incompatible with Windows and macOS, but some people need to use SSDs or HDDs formatted with Linux extFS on Mac computers. So, the extFS for Mac third-party software comes out to help us mount and access extFS external hard drives on Mac machines.

1 Like

Hello, I have some ideas about your question " Is it safe to use extFS for Mac?"

Paragon extFS for Mac is a legitimate software that works to help you read and write to external hard drives formatted with Linux ext4, ext3, and ext2.

It is worth mentioning that, when you install extFS for Mac by Paragon on your Mac, the software will require you to enable macOS system extension and change some security settings. If you don’t follow its instructions, you can’t run Paragon extFS for Mac on your Mac. Since Paragon is a legal developer, you don’t need to worry that its extFS for Mac will damage your Mac.

If you mind running third-party software with your Mac’s security reduced and worry about malware or virus attacks due to the reduced security, skip using the program. You can reformat your ext4 drive to APFS. Then, you can use it on your Mac seamlessly. Remember to back up the drive on your Linux machine in advance as reformatting will cause data loss.

1 Like

Hi, if you think that Paragon extFS for Mac is not reliable and safe as it asks you to reduce the security on your Mac, I have a way to help you access extFS external hard drive on Mac without Paragon extFS for Mac.

That is reformatting your extFS external drive to the macOS-compatible APFS or Mac OS Extended.

However, formatting a hard drive will erase all contents on it. If your hard drive has some files, connect it to your Linux computer and back up these files first. After that, you can reformat the drive in Mac Disk Utility.

Go to Launchpad > Other > Disk Utility.
Click View on the toolbar > Show All Devices.
Select the whole extFS hard drive from the sidebar and click Erase.
Set a drive name, choose APFS or Mac OS Extended (Journaled) in the format field, and select GUID Partition Map as the scheme.
Click Erase and wait for the erasure process to complete.

Easy enough, right?

I’ve gotten that. Very clear explanation about extFS for Mac. Thanks!

I think that formatting the ext4 on my Mac is better for me as my drive doesn’t have important files.

Already followed your steps, much appreciated!