How to Open CR2 Files on the Computer? (Mac + Windows)

Hey folks,

I recently shot some photos with my Canon camera, and they’re all in CR2 format. I’m trying to figure out how to open CR2 files on my laptops(I have a Mac and a PC).
What software or methods do you guys recommend for viewing and editing CR2 files? Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Don’t worry, CR2 file is Canon’s RAW image format, and while it’s great for high-quality images, it can be a bit tricky to open if you’re not sure what software to use.

I am a MacBook user and I tried Preview and Photoshop to open CR2 files on Mac. You can also try.

Hi, if you’re on a Windows computer, here’s some tips which can help you:

1. Photos:
    If you’ve got Windows 10 or later, the Photos app can actually open CR2 files—just make sure you have the “Raw Image Extension” installed from the Microsoft Store.
  2. Canon’s Digital Photo Professional (DPP):
    Canon provides its own software, Digital Photo Professional (DPP), which is designed specifically for opening CR2 files.
  3. Photo editing apps
    Some apps like Photoshop, or Lightroom Windows will have no trouble opening CR2 files.

Yeah, the DPP software can help you on Mac, too. To open CR2 files on Mac, there are some methods:

• Right-click the files > Open with > Preview. (You can save it to other formats here.)
  • Open Photos on Mac, then choose File > Import, then select the CR2 files.
  • Open the photos editing apps like DPP or Photoshop…

I hope they can work. :grinning:

Why not try converting? It is easy to edit the CR2 files after converting because CR2 files are always so big.

Or you have so many CR2 files to edit, JPG/JPEG is better. You can read how to convert CR2 to JPG on Mac to find some answers.

Moreover, for the conversion tools on Mac, to avoid losing privacy, iBoysoft MagicMenu is a good choice, maybe you can have a try~