How to Fix Mac Keyboard Shortcuts not Working?

Hello, I’ve recently run into an issue with my Mac that keyboard shortcuts not working as they should. I’ve tried using common shortcuts like Command + C (copy) and Command + V (paste), but they either don’t respond or do something completely different. This issue seems to affect multiple apps, but it’s not consistent across all of them.

I’m running the latest version of macOS, and the keyboard itself seems fine for regular typing. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Any suggestions or tips to fix this would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry about your case. There could be several reasons why your keyboard shortcuts aren’t working on a Mac. Here are some common causes:

• Unclean keyboard
  • Keyboard shortcut conflicts
  • Incorrect keyboard settings
  • Software bugs or system glitches
  • Incomplete accessibility settings
  • Some apps may have their own shortcuts

Maybe you can try some easy fixes like restarting?

According to your description, it’s so frustrating that the Mac keyboard shortcuts not working. I suggest you to try these fixes:

1. Restart your Mac.
  2. Reset SMC and PRAM/NVRAM.
  3. Test with an external keyboard.
  4. Check keyboard settings: Apple menu > System Settings > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts > Restore Defaults.
  5. Test in Safe Mode.
  6. Open different apps and try the same shortcuts. Or you can rest the app’s preferences or reinstall it.
  7. Disable or force quit any shortcut-related apps.
  8. Update macOS.

Hope these ways can help you, best wishes. :grinning:

For Command + C not working, you can read Ctrl C not working on Mac.
For keyboard shortcuts not working on Mac, you should try solutions like cleaning the keyboard, checking for software updates, and uninstalling any problematic apps to get it functioning properly again. These fixes generally apply to MacBook Air keyboards as well.

Or you can restart the Touch Bar using the Mac Terminal:

1. Finder > Applications > Utilities > Terminal.
  2. Type sudo pkill TouchBarServer then press the Enter key.
  3. Type sudo killall “ControlStrip” then press the Enter key.

Then turn off Slow Keys in Settings:
Apple menu > System Settings > Accessibility > Keyboard and ensure you turn off the Slow Keys.

Could you please check the keyboard layout settings? Open System Settings and find Keyboard, then click Input Resources and select Edit. Here you can choose the correct keyboard layout for the region and language.
If you try all the fixes that the answers provided for you, you have to ask for help from the professional staff. :grin:

Thank you for your kind answers. My problem is solved~