What Is Read Only Memory? ROM vs RAM: Which Is Better?

I’ve been hearing a lot about different types of computer memory, and one term that keeps coming up is Read-Only Memory (ROM). I understand that it’s some kind of memory storage, but I’m still a bit confused about what makes it different from other types of memory, like RAM. Could someone break down what ROM actually is, how it works, and where it’s typically used?

Also, are there different types of ROM? If so, what are the main differences between them? I’d really appreciate it if someone could give me a beginner-friendly explanation!

Hello, Read-Only Memory, commonly known as ROM, is a type of non-volatile memory used in computers and other electronic devices.

Unlike RAM (Random Access Memory), which loses its data when power is turned off, ROM retains its information even after the device is powered down. This makes it ideal for storing firmware—software that is permanently programmed into a device.

One of the key characteristics of ROM is that, once data is written to it during manufacturing, it cannot be easily modified or erased.

How does ROM(Read-only Memory) work?

For instance, when you turn on your computer, the ROM chip contains essential boot-up instructions that the system follows to load the operating system.
These instructions, known as firmware, are crucial for basic functions.
Because ROM is non-volatile, it can hold this data indefinitely, ensuring that the device can always start up correctly without needing to be rewritten or refreshed.
Now you must know this.

There are several types of Read-only Memory, each designed for specific uses:

• Masked ROM (MROM): The oldest and most basic form, with data written during the manufacturing process.
  • Programmable ROM (PROM): Initially blank and can be programmed once by the user.
  • Erasable Programmable ROM (EPROM): Can be erased by exposure to UV light and reprogrammed.
  • Electrically Erasable Programmable ROM (EEPROM): Can be erased and reprogrammed electrically without needing special equipment.

Each one has its own pros and cons.

ROM VS RAM?
ROM and RAM serve different purposes in a computer system.

While ROM is non-volatile and used for permanent data storage, RAM is volatile and designed for temporary data storage that supports active processes.

ROM contains essential instructions for booting up and performing hardware diagnostics, while RAM is used by the system to run applications and processes in real-time.

RAM can be written to and erased quickly, while ROM is mostly static and unchangeable once programmed.

Read-only memory is more durable and cheaper than RAM, but it is slower than RAM. :smiley: