How to Merge Multiple PDF Files into One on Mac?

I have a lot of PDF files scattered on my Mac. I want them to be well organized for better look-up. Besides, I often need to share PDF documents with my colleagues. So, for organization and sharing, the best way is to merge multiple PDF files into one. Do you know how to merge PDF files on Mac for free? Any tips would be much appreciated.

The way to merge PDF files without Acrobat and for free on a Mac is to use the built-in Preview utility. You can follow my steps to combine two or multiple PDF files into one on your Mac:

Merge some sections of one PDF to another PDF:

1. Launch Preview on your Mac and open the PDFs you want to merge.

2. Select View on the Preview menu bar > Thumbnails in each open PDF to display the page thumbnails on the sidebar.

3. Drag your wanted thumbnails of the PDF to the sidebar of the target PDF.

4. Save the merged PDF.

Merge an entire PDF to another:

1. Open Preview and open the destination PDF.

2. In the open PDF, select View on the Preview menu bar > Thumbnails to display the page thumbnails on the sidebar.

3. Drag the target PDF icon in Finder to the sidebar of the open PDF.

4. Drag the DPF icon in Finder to the sidebar of the open PDF.

Except for the Preview app, Finder is also a tool to help you merge PDF files for free.

1. Open Finder and select the folder where your PDF files are located.

2. Click the view button on the Finder toolbar and choose “as Gallery.” Or, you can move to the top Finder menu bar, and select View > as Gallery.

3. Select the PDF files you want to combine. You can press and hold the Command key on your keyboard to help you select multiple PDF files at a time.

4. Once you choose multiple PDF documents, the Create PDF button will appear on the right side of the Finder window. Click it to merge all the selected PDF files.

I have to mention to you that this feature only helps merge entire PDF files into one.

If you want to merge PDF files easier, you can combine PDF files online.

1. Open the Adobe Acrobat merge file online tool.

2. Drag and drop your PDF documents into the drop zone.

3. Adjust the order of the files (if you need).

4. Click Merge files.

5. Download the merged PDF file to your Mac.

This tool is not absolutely free, it offers a 7-day free trial based on your pay for one of a subscription.

When I try to combine PDFs with Preview, the program just hangs. It seems to get stuck on the merging process, did anyone encounter a similar issue?

Have you encountered this issue all the time or sometimes? If it happens occasionally, just quit Preview and try again, if the problem persists, try these ways when Preview hangs on merging PDF files:

Restart your Mac.

Try to use Finder’s Create PDF feature to merge PDFs.

Boot your Mac to Safe Mode and merge PDFs here.

Such detailed steps. Thanks a lot! I’ve followed your steps and merged my PDF files into one.