Why Do I Get an Error When Recovering Desktop Files from iCloud?

I synced my iCloud with my Desktop and Documents folder in Finder. However, I mistakenly delete all files on my desktop. I tried to restore them from my iCloud but it keeps appearing the error “There was a problem restoring xxx. Try restoring the file again later.” Why? How can I get back my lost files?

Are the deleted files moved to the Trash on your Mac? Go to the Trash and put them back on your desktop.

They are not in my Trash folder, they are permanently removed from my Mac.

Since you sync your Mac to iCloud, the time you permanently delete files from your Mac, iCloud sync the changes of these files. Thus, you can’t restore them from iCloud as they disappeared here either.

You can either use your backups to restore the deleted desktop files or use a data recovery tool like iBoysoft Data Recovery for Mac. Download and install it, select your Macintosh HD - Data or macOS - Data volume on the app’s main interface. Click Search for Lost Data, wait for the scanning results, find your desktop files, choose them, and click Recover to get them back to another destination.