It's well-known that Mac has limited support for Windows NTFS file system, and this problem still exists in macOS Catalina. That is, you can only read NTFS drives but cannot write to or delete anything on the drive with a Mac computer. The 'NTFS read-only problem' causes inconvenience every time you need to use NTFS external hard drives between Windows and Mac.
So, you need an NTFS program for Mac to bridge this gap. But with plenty of NTFS for Mac apps are available, what is the best NTFS for Mac software for you to read and write to NTFS drives on Mac?
This article lists the top 5 NTFS Apps for macOS Catalina, Mojave, High Sierra and the earlier. By reviewing their pros and cons, you'll find the best NTFS for Mac app after comparison.
Top 5 NTFS for macOS Catalina/Mojave/High Sierra Apps
1. NTFS Assistant
NTFS Assistant is the cheapest NTFS for Mac utility in App Store. With NTFS Assistant, getting access to NTFS drive on Mac is a piece of cake. You can view, delete, or transfer files from Mac to NTFS drive. You can also rename and write to folders and files. NTFS Assistant is compatible with macOS Catalina/Mojave/High Sierra/Sierra and Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11/Yosemite 10.10/Mavericks 10.9/Mountain Lion 10.8.
- The Cheapest NTFS for Mac app
- Only available in App Store
- A plug-in called NTFS Assistant Helper needs to be downloaded and installe before writing to NTFS drive on Mac
2. iBoysoft NTFS for Mac
iBoysoft NTFS for Mac is the most comprehensive NTFS app for Mac. This all-in-one application does do it promises on their website: as simple as 3 steps to mount and write to NTFS formatted drives on Mac, seamless, speedy, and safe. With this NTFS driver, you can add, delete, modify, view, and write to files on NTFS drives on Mac.
You can mount NTFS external hard drives, SSDs, USB flash drives, SD cards, memory cards, CF cards, pen drives, etc. on Mac in read-write mode. With one simple click, you can mount, unmount, or eject all volumes intuitively from the menu bar.
- One-click NTFS driver and mounter for Mac
- 7-day free trial period
- Fast and stable read-write speed
- Simple UI with customizable disk management bar
- No live support chat
3. iBoysoft Drive Manager
iBoysoft Drive Manager is a another NTFS mounter developed by iBoysoft. More than an external hard drives and network drives manager, this program also allows you write to NTFS drive on macOS Catalina 10.15/Mojave 10.14/High Sierra 10.13/Sierra 10.12 and Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11/Yosemite 10.10/Mavericks 10.9/Mountain Lion 10.8.
Besides the function that allows you to access NTFS drive on Mac, iBoysoft Drive Manager also enables you manage external hard drive and network drive with ease, including external hard drive, USB flash drive, SD card, memory card, CF card, pen drive, etc. You can manage your Mac volumes fast and intuitively from the menu bar. With only one click, you can mount, unmount, or eject all volumes.
- More than an NTFS driver for Mac.
- Support NTFS, FAT32, and exFAT drives
- Manage external drive and network drive
- 7-day free trial period
- A little more expensive than other NTFS for Mac app
4. Paragon NTFS for Mac 15
Paragon NTFS for Mac 15 is one of the most famous NTFS for Mac applications. With it, you can mount, unmount, verify, format and set any of your Windows NTFS volumes as a startup drive.
- Simple interface
- Fast speed
- More expensive price for lifetime license
- No free upgrade if a new version is released or if a macOS is updated
4. Tuxera NTFS for Mac 2016
Tuxera NTFS for Mac is handy NTFS driver for Mac to give read and write capabilities on NTFS drives. But the stability needs to be improved and it occupies too much memory when you transfer files, which might slow your Mac.
- Lower price
- Slow speed while transferring bulky files
- Odd bugs needs to be fixed. Based on the feedback of its users, "Tuxera NTFS not mounting" error happens frequently
Bonus Part: Free NTFS for Mac software
Except for the best NTFS for Mac apps mentioned above, you have an additional option called Mounty for NTFS . It's a tiny free tool for Mac to mount NTFS volumes in read-write mode. However, there ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
Free NTFS drivers have some obvious shortcomings.
- Slow write speed. From the feedback of many users, Mounty for NTFS can only write to NTFS drive with slow speed. Sometimes, it even can't mount NTFS drives.
- Data loss. Some users complained that when they are using Mounty for NTFS, suddenly they lost all their files, and some files may be grayed out and can't be modified anymore.
As you can see, the best NTFS for Mac program is totally up to your requirement. Most of the time, it depends on if you have enough budget. So, among those apps, iBoysoft NTFS for Mac is recommended as the best NTFS for Mac software because you can enjoy more bang for the buck.
Best NTFS for Mac - iBoysoft NTFS for Mac
- Read and write NTFS volumes on Mac
- Mount and unmount NTFS volumes
- Repair NTFS file system errors
- Erase data on NTFS disks
- List and open all attached external drives
- Reformat disks to NTFS on Mac
- Support macOS 10.15/10.14/10.13/10.12 and OS X 10.11/10.10/10.9/10.8