Written byRivers Wong
How to Remove Bloom Virus from Mac: Detailed Guide
Nowadays, Mac computers become more and more popular all over the world, especially among students and professional programmers. But, this also makes Mac a more attractive target for hackers and scammers. As new models of computers emerge, new types of viruses and malware are being created.
In recent years, a notorious virus/malware named Bloom has come into the public. If you're being harassed by it, then you come to the right place. In this article, we'll explain what the Bloom virus is, how can a Mac get infected with it, and most importantly, how to remove Bloom virus from Mac. To learn more details, keep reading!
Table of Contents:
- 1. What is Bloom.exe virus?
- 2. How does the Bloom virus get onto a Mac?
- 3. What harm can the Bloom virus do to my Mac?
- 4. How to remove Bloom virus from Mac?
What is Bloom.exe virus?
Bloom.exe is a malicious program that displays advertisements in your web browsers on your Mac computer, whether you want them to or not. The Bloom advertisements will typically appear in the header in odd places or over the content of web pages. These ads are for adult websites, phony software updates, unwanted programs, and online games.
Generally speaking, it can be categorized as a sub-genre of adware, because the Bloom virus is notorious for its intrusive pop-ups. You may wonder why would someone go to all the trouble to make malware that infects computers just to display advertisements to users. Well, the truth is hackers and scammers get paid how many pages clicks they get, once you click (whether it's intentional or not) the ads, it counts for their wages.
How does the Bloom virus get onto a Mac?
The most common ways that adware like Bloom virus takes to sneak onto your Mac computer are Software bundling and misleading advertisements.
Software bundling means the Bloom virus is hidden deep within the installation file of the application you downloaded sometimes. Typically, these apps are free apps and pirated apps. A cunning hacker will bury this malware underneath everything else that needs to be installed with the application you want to download. That's why you should always download and install apps from trusted sources.
The other common way for the Bloom virus to get onto your Mac is through misleading advertisements. Sometimes, the Bloom virus may get disguised as a computer notification. And when it pops up, you'll be fooled into thinking that there's something wrong with the Mac, and want to fix it by clicking that notification. Once you click on it, it'll automatically execute scripts that will infect your Mac with the Bloom virus.
If you want to know how to tell if a Mac has been hacked by Bloom Virus, check out the following common symptoms on a Bloom-infected computer:
- Advertisements appear in places they shouldn't be.
- Website links lead you to sites different from what you expected.
- Web browser pop-ups appear which recommended fake updates.
- The "Bloom app 2022" and "Bloom tech Copyright All rights reserved" processes are running on your Mac.
Think this content is informative? Share it with more people!
What harm can the Bloom virus do to my Mac?
Though Apple's built-in anti-virus feature on Mac - XProtect is very powerful, sometimes, it may still fail to detect and check viruses or malware like Bloom.exe. The good news is, the Bloom virus is not as destructive as other viruses, it is more annoying than vicious. In other words, it's unlikely to severely damage your Mac operating system or steal any of your important data.
But you should be careful because this virus may show you websites and applications developed by scammers, and they may want to trick you into installing intrusive software or entering some gambling sites. As long as you're careful with suspicious pop-ups, ads, or links, then the Bloom virus is not that scary.
How to remove Bloom virus from Mac?
If you have Bloom virus on your Mac, don't worry. It's quite easy to get rid of it. But it is still a pain because like removing malware from Mac, you have to go through all the browsers you have installed on your device, then remove the extension manually.
Follow the instruction below to remove Bloom virus from Mac in Safari, Chrome, and Firefox.
Remove Bloom virus from Mac Safari
- Launch Safari on your Mac computer.
- Click Safari in the Apple menu, then select Preferences > Extensions.
- Select the suspicious extensions by ticking the checkbox next to that extension from the left panel, then click on the Uninstall button.
- Quit Safari and restart it.
Remove Bloom virus from Google Chrome
- Open Chrome, then click Chrome in the Apple menu, and select Preferences.
- A window appears in Google Chrome, click Extensions under the Settings list from the page's left column.
- Check if there are suspicious extensions, if it does, click Remove to remove them.
Remove Bloom virus from Firefox
- Open Firebox on your Mac.
- Click the button with the three lines > Add-ons and themes > Extensions.
- Look for the troublesome extensions, then select them and click Remove.
- Quit Firefox and restart it again.
Protect My Mac from Viruses: Things You Should Know in 2022
Since Mac computers get viruses like Windows PCs do, how to protect my Mac from viruses then? This article explains how to prevent your Mac from viruses. Read more >>
Successfully remove Bloom virus from your Mac? Share this tutorial with more people who need it!
It's always annoying when your Mac computer is infected by any kind of virus and malware, like the Bloom virus. In this case, not only the macOS might get corrupted, your important maybe steal by hackers and scammers. This article provides you with a detailed method on how to remove Bloom.exe from your Mac. Hope by reading it, you can successfully fix the problem.