NTFS-3G vs Tuxera NTFS for Mac
It is never an easy thing to transfer files across several computer platforms, like transferring from Windows to macOS. This is especially difficult by the fact that macOS doesn't support to write to NTFS drive, including the newest macOS High Sierra. On Windows, NTFS is the default file system for hard drives.
The easiest way to enable NTFS write support is using NTFS driver for macOS. NTFS-3G and Tuxera NTFS for Mac are two common NTFS for macOS software among users. Here, we will make a comparison between NTFS-3G and Tuxera NTFS for Mac with the aim of finding a better NTFS for macOS software.
NTFS-3G vs Tuxera NTFS for Mac
Here is the comparison between NTFS-3G and Tuxera NTFS for Mac from 3 aspects:
1. Compatibility: NTFS-3G supports macOS 10.12 and previous macOS, but is not compatible with macOS Mojave 10.14/High Sierra 10.13. Tuxera NTFS for Mac supports macOS 10.14/10.13/10.12 and macOS 10.11/10.10/10.9/10.8/10.7.
2. Software stability: Tuxera NTFS for Mac is developed from NTFS-3G and has a lot of improvements. Certainly, Tuxera NTFS for Mac performs much better than NTFS-3G.
3. Tech support: NTFS-3G is a freeware and doesn't have any technical support. While Tuxera NTFS for Mac is a paid software. So when we get into problems using Tuxera NTFS for Mac, we can get timely technical support.
The biggest defect of NTFS-3G is that it doesn't support macOS Mojave 10.14 and High Sierra 10.13, so it is not recommended even though it is a freeware. Tuxera NTFS for Mac is certainly a better choice than NTFS-3G. But Tuxera NTFS for Mac also has its cons and can't be regarded as the best NTFS driver for macOS.
Here are two disadvantages of Tuxera NTFS for Mac:
1. Slow speed: Tuxera NTFS for Mac commonly has very slow speed when transferring large number of files and large volume data size.
2. Expensive: The lifetime license of Tuxera NTFS for Mac charges US$31, which is relatively high than other similar software.
Tuxera NTFS for Mac alternative
Since Tuxera NTFS for Mac transfers files with slow speed and is expensive, we have found two Tuxera NTFS for Mac alternatives: NTFS Assistant and iBoysoft Drive Manager. Both of them can transfer files efficiently and are very easy-to-use.
1. NTFS Assistant - the most cost-efficient NTFS for Mac software
NTFS Assistant is a reliable Mac tool that can mount NTFS drive on Mac as a regular drive with read-write mode. It has stable and efficient performance. What's more, it only sales at a very low price and can be regarded as the most cost-efficient NTFS for Mac software.
Tutorial to download and use NTFS Assistant:
Step 1: Download and install NTFS Assistant from App Store >>.
Step 2: Download and install NTFS Assistant Helper >>.
Step 3: Launch NTFS Assistant and connect NTFS drive to Mac.
2. iBoysoft Drive Manager - handy tool to manage external drives & network drives
iBoysoft Drive Manager is a professional Mac tool that can enable NTFS write support on Mac. With it, we can create, edit, delete and transfer files on NTFS drive. It can help mount, unmount, read and write to FAT32 drives, exFAT drives, NTFS drives, etc. on macOS 10.14/10.13/10.12 and macOS 10.11/10.10/10.9/10.8/10.7.
iBoysoft Drive Manager is also a handy tool to manage external drives and network drives. Only a simple click from the menu bar, we can mount, unmount and remount network drives & external drives, including network drive, external hard drive, USB flash drive, SD card, memory card, CF card and pen drive.
Instruction to mount NTFS drive on Mac with iBoysoft Drive Manager
Step 1: Download and install iBoysoft Drive Manager on Mac.
Step 2: Launch iBoysoft Drive Manager and connect NTFS drive to Mac.
Step 3: Write to NTFS drive after getting notification that the NTFS drive has been mounted successfully.
For comparison between Paragon NTFS for Mac and Tuxera NTFS for Mac, please refer to Paragon NTFS for Mac vs NTFS-3G.
Still have questions?