5 best solutions to recover data from failed internal Mac hard drive
When your MacBook Pro, MacBook Air or iMac works great, you may not think that one day it runs/responds at a very slow speed, shut down suddenly or the Mac stuck at loading/login screen. This situation refers to the Mac internal hard drive failure, resulting in an unbootable Mac computer and inaccessible Mac data. A failing or already failed internal Mac hard drive is definitely a nightmare for all Mac users, especially for who stored important files on Mac but didn't back up before. In this case, the first thing is to recover data from failed internal Mac hard drive.
The good news is that you have great chances to get lost data back. Here are five practice solutions.
How to recover data from failed internal hard drive?
Notice: Once your Mac computer crashes, you should avoid using it and perform Mac hard drive failure data recovery as soon as possible. Because any operation is possible to overwrite the original data.
Solution 1: Recover data from failed internal Mac hard drive with iBoysoft Mac Data Recovery
This is the most recommended method among all mentioned solutions since it is easy and offers the highest success rate of data recovery. iBoysoft Mac Data Recovery is a free Mac hard drive data recovery tool that can recover data from failed/dead/corrupted internal Mac hard drive, recover data when Mac internal hard drive won't mount, recover data from unmountable Macintosh HD on macOS 10.14/10.13/10.12 and Mac OS X 10.11/10.10/10.9/10.8/10.7. Its bootable edition doesn’t need you take out the hard drive and enables you recover data from unbootable Mac computer directly.
Method 1: If you have only one unbootable Mac computer
If you have only one Mac computer, please directly run iBoysoft Mac Data Recovery bootable media from iBoysoft Server and recover lost data from the failed internal Mac hard drive.
Method 2: If you have two Mac computers
1. Download iBoysoft Mac Data Recovery on another Mac computer.
2. Install and launch iBoysoft Mac Data Recovery.
3. Click iBoysoft Data Recovery on menu bar and then select "Create Boot Drive".
4. Insert a USB drive into your Mac computer.
5. Follow the wizard to create a bootable recovery drive.
6. After that, please insert iBoysoft Mac Data Recovery bootable USB drive into the failed Mac computer, and then press the Power button and Option key (⌥) to start the computer up.
7. Select iBoysoft Mac Data Recovery from the boot options.
8. Follow the wizard to scan for lost data on the failed internal hard drive.
9. Preview and select the files you want to get back, and then click the Recover button.
Besides, iBoysoft Mac Data Recovery also allows you to recover data from formatted, unmountable, unreadable, inaccessible on external hard drives, USB drives, SD cards, Pen drives and much more. It works on multiple file systems such as APFS (including encrypted APFS), HFS, HFS+, FAT and exFAT.
Solution 2: Use Disk Utility in Recovery Mode.
Disk Utility is available to repair any damaged partition. If the Mac's start-up volume goes corrupted, you need to launch Disk Utility in Recovery Mode.
1. Press and hold the Command and R keys while tapping the power button to start your computer.
2. From the macOS Utilities menu, select Disk Utility.
3. Select the startup disk or partition.
4. Click on First Aid on the top. Wait until the fixing process finished.
5. Click Done and restart your Mac.
Solution 3: Run FSCK command in Single User Mode
If Disk Utility can't repair the disk, you can attempt to repair failed internal hard drive via FSCK command in Single User Mode.
1. Ensure that your Mac is shut down totally and then restart your Mac and hold on pressing the "Command + S" buttons.
2. When you loads successfully in Safe Mode, enter the command line /sbin/fsck – fy and press Return key button.
The command will start working to analyze your internal drive. If the FSCK repairs the drive successfully, you will receive the prompt – "The volume (name) appears to be OK".
Solution 4: Fix the failed drive in Target Disk Mode
Target Disk Mode is a useful way that helps you access a failed startup hard drive. It allows you to connect two Mac computers to make one of them appears as an external hard disk on the other.
1. Please find another Mac and then connect both Macs with a firewire.
2. Start Mac with failed internal dive and press "T" key button. Then this Mac will enter the Firewire mode, in which there is a Firewire icon on the screen. Meanwhile, you will see the malfunctioning Mac drive on the well Mac.
3. Now you can repair the disk and extract the data from the failed drive on this healthy Mac.
Solution 5: Use the internal hard drive as external One
This solution is regarded as an alternative solution of Target Disk Mode. If the above solution fails, you can have a try to take out the internal Mac hard drive and use it as an external drive.
1. For a start, you need to procure an external hard drive enclosure and then remove the drive out of Mac safely.
2. Mount the internal hard drive into the new enclosure.
3. Connect this external drive to a well computer through USB port.
4. Try to access your data in the hard drive.
This passage focus on solutions to Mac hard drive failure and tutorial to recover data from failed internal Mac hard drive. To prevent Mac hard drive failure, you should avoid sudden power off while accessing data on Mac, develop a good computer using habit and put your Mac in good environment. If unfortunately, you are suffering from low speed, sudden crash or blue screen, etc., just free download and install iBoysoft Mac Data Recovery bootable edition to recover data from failed/dead/corrupted internal Mac hard drive with ease.
Still have questions?