How to fix the disk you inserted is not readable on MacBook?
Whenever I plugged the Sandisk USB flash drive into my MacBook, I get the error message 'the disk you inserted was not readable by this computer.' I have many family pictures and working documents saved on the USB, is there any way to fix MacBook the disk you inserted is not readable error and get access to my data?
No matter what computer you are using, MacBooks, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, etc., you have chance to meet the error message: 'the disk you inserted was not readable by this computer'. This error means the file directory of your external drive. Usually, the corruption is caused by virus attack, improper shutdown, power failure, and internal file system errors, etc. How to fix MacBook the disk you inserted is not readable? In this post, you will get two feasible solutions.
How to fix MacBook the disk you inserted is not readable without data loss?
Do you think initializing is your only choice? Are you worried about data loss problem? The following are two fixes to external drive not readable by this computer.
Fix 1: Repair the unreadable external drive in Disk Utility
Step 1: Go to Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility.
Step 2: Select the unreadable disk.
Step 3: Click First Aid on the top of Disk Utility window.
Step 4: Wait till the reparation of the unreadable disk process finished.
Fix 2: Recover data and then reformat the unreadable external drive
If Disk Utility is unable to fix the disk is not readable on Mac, the only way is to reformat the unreadable external drive. To avoid data loss, you should recover data from unreadable external hard drive at first.
Step 1: Recover data from unreadable external drive on Mac
iBoysoft Mac Data Recovery is a free Mac data Recovery software which has ability to recover data from unreadable external hard drive, USB flash drive, SD card, memory card, pen drive, digital camera, etc. on macOS Mojave 10.14/High Sierra 10.13/Sierra 10.12/10.11/10.10/10.9/10.8/10.7. It also allows you to recover data from formatted, unmountable, inaccessible drive. More importantly, iBoysoft Mac Data Recovery can recover deleted/lost documents, audios, videos, emails from APFS, HFS, HFS+, exFAT, FAT32 drives.
Tutorial to recover data from unreadable external drive on MacBook
1. Download and install iBoysoft Mac Data Recovery on Mac.
2. Connect the unreadable external drive to your MacBook, and then launch iBoysoft Mac Data Recovery.
3. Select the unreadable external drive and click "Next" to scan all lost files.
4. Preview the scanning results, choose files we need, and click "Recover" to get them back.
5. Have a check to ensure all lost files have been successfully recovered.
Step 2: Reformat the unreadable external hard drive
1. Launch Disk Utility.
2. Click the icon of the unreadable external drive on the left part of the window.
3. Click the Erase on the top of the Disk Utility window.
4. Complete related information (name, format, scheme, etc.), and then click Erase button.
Still have questions?