APFS is a new file system used in macOS High Sierra, Mojave, and Catalina. The biggest advantage of APFS is that it is designed with encryption in mind. Unlike the latest Apple file system, APFS uses the data protection feature which encrypts every file individually on Mac. But some errors happen when you try to unlock an encrypted volume. Normally, the corruption of encrypted APFS volume is caused by virus attack, sudden power failure, file system corruption, bad sector, etc.
Unable to unlock encrypted APFS volume? Want to know how to repair encrypted APFS volume? This passage will show you feasible solutions.
How to repair encrypted APFS volume?
Encrypted APFS disk repair is not a difficult issue. Most of the time, people always have important files on encrypted APFS volume, so here are two solutions to repair encrypted APFS volume without data loss.
Solution 1: Repair encrypted APFS volume with Disk Utility
Mac has a built-in repair tool in Disk Utility called First Aid. It can verify and correct minor error on disks. So when want to repair encrypted APFS volume, First Aid is your prior choice.
Step 1: Launch Disk Utility.
Step 2: Choose the encrypted APFS volume on the left side bar.
Step 3: Select First Aid in the top center and click Run.
Solution 2: Recover lost data from encrypted APFS volume and reformat the volume
Disk Utility can't repair the APFS volume? Your encrypted APFS volume might have some serious corruptions, so the last choice is to reformat the encrypted APFS volume. But to avoid data loss, you can firstly recover lost data from encrypted APFS volume with APFS data recovery software.
Step 1: Recover lost data from encrypted APFS volume
iBoysoft Mac Data Recovery is the best APFS data recovery software that offers the most comprehensive solutions for APFS data recovery. It works well in different scenarios. iBoysoft Mac Data Recovery can recover lost data from encrypted APFS external hard drive and startup drive, recover lost data from formatted, unmountable, unreadable, corrupted, inaccessible APFS drive, recover deleted/lost APFS partition.
Besides, iBoysoft Mac Data Recovery also supports HFS, HFS+, exFAT, FAT32. It is able to recover documents, photos, audios, videos, emails and more on macOS Catalina 10.15/Mojave 10.14/High Sierra 10.13/Sierra 10.12/10.11/10.10/10.9/10.8/10.7.
1. Free download and install iBoysoft Mac Data Recovery.
2. Launch iBoysoft Mac Data Recovery on Mac and and click "Find Lost APFS Partition" on the top right corner. Then you will see all connected hard drives.
3. Select the drive which contains your APFS encrypted volume and click "Next" button. The software will list all APFS volumes on the selected drive.
4. Choose the APFS encrypted volume that you want to recover lost data from and click "Next".
5. Enter the correct password and click "OK" to start searching for lost files on the volume.
6. Preview the listed searching results, choose files you need, then click "Recover" to get lost files back.
7. Go through to make sure you have all the lost files back.
Step 2: Reformat the encrypted APFS volume
1. Launch Disk Utility.
2. Select the encrypted APFS volume on the left part of the window.
3. Click Erase on the top of the Disk Utility window.
4. Complete related information (name, format, scheme), then click Erase button.