How to fix corrupted APFS container on macOS Catalina/Mojave/High Sierra?
Though developed with the cutting-edge technology, APFS container is not immune to corruption. For example, you may have received error messages like APFS "container superblock is invalid", APFS "fsroot tree is invalid", or "AppleAPFSMedia uninitialized" in Disk Utility, all of which showing the APFS container corrupted due to some reasons.
Besides, the APFS container corruption can also result in APFS containers unmountable, unreadable or inaccessible on Mac. As the basic storage unit for APFS, if the APFS container corrupted, the disastrous consequence will be data loss. Thus, it's critical to fix corrupted APFS container so as to regain access to the data.
How to fix corrupted APFS container without losing data?
Pro tip: You need to stop using the drive, even the Mac computer, with the corrupted APFS container immediately to avoid overwriting on the APFS container. What's more, data recovery from the corrupted APFS container with APFS data recovery software, like iBoysoft Mac Data Recovery, should come first.
iBoysoft Mac Data Recovery is professional data recovery software supporting APFS and encrypted APFS file system. It's able to recover data from corrupted APFS containers, recover data from corrupted APFS drive, recover data from corrupted external APFS drives, recover data from corrupted drives after APFS conversion, and recover data from corrupted APFS boot disk, recover deleted files from APFS drive, etc.
Step 1: Recover data from the corrupted APFS container with iBoysoft Mac Data Recovery.
1. Download and install iBoysoft Mac Data Recovery on your Mac.
2. Launch iBoysoft Mac Data Recovery, and select the disk with corrupted APFS container.
PS: If the APFS disk isn't listed on the screen, you can click on "Find Lost APFS Partitions" from the top right corner.
3. Click "Next" to scan for the lost data.
4. Preview the scanning results, choose files you want to get back.
5. Click "Recover" button to recover lost data from the corrupted APFS container.
Step 2: fix corrupted APFS container by formatting/erasing.
1. Go to Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility.
2. Select the disk with corrupted APFS container from the sidebar.
3. Click Erase on the top of the window and follow the instructions to finish the formatting process.
It's very easy to repair APFS container by formatting. However, to prevent data loss on the corrupted APFS container, you need to keep in mind that data recover should come first, and iBoysoft Mac Data Recovery can be of great help.
Still have questions?