I'm having trouble accessing data on my encrypted APFS disk. It refused to open with all passwords, and neither could I find it in Disk Utility. The error was: Error unlocking APFS Volume: Couldn't mount disk (-69842). I'm using MacBook Pro macOS High Sierra. Anyone can help unlock this APFS volume or recover my data from the locked or unmountable APFS volume?
Why can't I unlock APFS volume and mount it?
Generally, the possible reasons of unlocking encrypted APFS volume failure and inability to mount it in Disk Utility might be: invalid passwords, APFS file system errors, drive corrupted or damaged, or other unknown reasons. No matter what it is, you'll lose access to the data stored in it.
Can I recover data if I failed to unlock the APFS volume and mount it?
Yes. You can recover lost data from the encrypted APFS volume, even if you failed to unlock and mount it. What you need is professional APFS data recovery software, just like iBoysoft Mac Data Recovery.
iBoysoft Mac Data Recovery is one of the best APFS data recovery software that recovers lost data from APFS volumes on Mac. Besides, it is able to repair APFS volumes, recover unbootable APFS partitions, recover lost data from formatted, damaged, corrupted, unmountable, inaccessible, unreadable APFS partitions, and recover data from encrypted APFS external drives, etc.
Recover data from encrypted APFS volumes
1. Launch iBoysoft Mac Data Recovery. Click "Find Lost APFS Partitions" on the top right corner and then you will see all connected hard drives on your Mac.
2. Select the drive which contains your APFS encrypted volume and click "Next" button. The software will list all APFS volumes on the selected drive.
3. Choose the APFS encrypted volume that you want to recover data from and click "Next".
4. Enter the correct password and click "OK" to start searching for lost files on the volume.
5. Preview the listed searching results, choose files you need, then click "Recover" to get lost files back.
6. Go through to ensure we have got all lost files back.