APFS encryption provides users file system level protection to any data you stored in that volume/drive. Every now and then however, users will find the APFS encrypted volume not mountable on their Macs. In this article, we will discuss why APFS encrypted volume not mounted, and how to fix it to mount APFS encrypted volume correctly without losing data.
Why APFS encrypted volume not mounted?
"APFS encrypted volume not mounted" error could be due to damaged or corrupted file system, unsafe ejection, volume header corruption, unexpected power outage, etc. Whatever the reason is, you will have no access to the data on the unmounted APFS encrypted volumes.
How to fix APFS encrypted volume not mounted error without losing data?
Solution 1: Fix APFS encrypted volume not mounted error with Disk Utility.
Disk Utility is designed to verify and repair minor errors of disks on Mac, such as unmountable, unreadable, inaccessible volumes or drives. So, to get rid of APFS encrypted volume not mounted error, Disk Utility should be your first attempt.
1. Go to Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility.
2. Select the unmountable APFS encrypted volume from the sidebar.
3. Click on First Aid on the top. Wait until the process finished.
But sometimes Disk Utility can't mount APFS volume, or Disk Utility can't repair APFS partition. It might be resulted from the invalid fsroot tree. In this case, go ahead to Solution 2 to recover lost data from unmountable APFS encrypted volume and reformat it.
Solution 2: Fix APFS encrypted volume not mounted error by reformatting.
Before reformatting the unmountable APFS encrypted volume, you should be sure you have a backup of the files on that volume. If unfortunately you don't, you need to recover lost data from the APFS encrypted volume with APFS encrypted data recovery software, such as iBoysoft Mac Data Recovery
iBoysoft Mac Data Recovery is prefessional data recovery software for Mac that supports APFS and encrypted APFS file systems. It's able to recover data from corrupted APFS partition, recover data after APFS encryption paused, froze, interrupted, and recover data from encrypted APFS external hard drives, USB drives, SD cards, memory cards and other storage devices on macOS 10.15/10.14/10.1310.12 and Mac OS X 10.11/10.10/10.9/10.8/10.7.
Step 1: Recover data from not mounted APFS encrypted volume with iBoysoft Mac Data Recovery.
1. Launch iBoysoft Mac Data Recovery on Mac and click "Find Lost APFS Partition" on the top right corner. Then you will see all connected hard drives.
2. Select the drive which contains your unmountable APFS encrypted volume and click "Next".
3. Choose the unmountable APFS encrypted volume where you have lost data and click "Next".
4. Enter the right password and then click "OK" to start searching for lost files on the volume.
4. Preview the listed searching results, choose files you need, and then click "Recover" to get lost files back.
5. Go through to ensure you have got all lost files back.
Step 2: Fix "APFS encrypted volume not mounted" error by reformatting.
After successfully recovering lost data from the unmounted APFS encrypted volume, let's now fix the unmountable APFS encrypted volume by reformatting.
1. Go to Disk Utility.
2. Select the not mounted APFS encrypted volume from the left sidebar.
3. Click the Erase button on the top of the Disk Utility window.
4. Complete the required information (name, format, scheme), then click Erase.
Now, you can mount the APFS encrypted volume correctly and read, write to it on your Mac.