Nowadays, people love to take videos and photos.
Videos are sweet memories of important moments in a person's life such as family reunions, kids growing up, pets playing around or graduation ceremony. Most people are not frequent uploaders on social media, but still have many videos and photos stored in phones, computers and other storage devices. For those who are full-time uploaders and vloggers, videos and photos are their career.
No matter what those videos are about, accidentally deleting important videos can be a bummer.
Don't worry. There are multiple ways you can try to get your deleted or lost videos back.
Let's get started.
- Table of contents
- 1. Can you recover deleted or lost videos?
- 2. How to recover deleted videos from Recycle Bin?
- 3. Three best video recovery software
- 4. How to recover deleted/lost videos with free video recovery software?
- 5. How to recover deleted/lost videos from SD memory cards?
- 6. How to recover deleted YouTube/Facebook videos?
- 7. Conclusion
Can you recover deleted or lost videos?
No matter how you delete video files, the possibility of recovering them successfully is very high, as long as they haven't been overwritten. That's becasue, after videos are deleted, they are still on their original location. However, those sectors will be marked as avaible for new data. Once your original videos are overwritten by new data, there is no such software out there that can help you get them back. Thus, to avoid overwriting, you are supposed to stop immediately writing onto the computer or the storage devices where you deleted or lost videos.
Video files deleted from computer internal hard drives and removable storage devices can be retrieved. However, if you are using an SSD (solid-state drive) with TRIM enabled, you'd better take a deep breath and let your deleted videos go. The reason is that TRIM technology will erase the data on an SSD as soon as you delete your files, instead of saving them for a while until new data is written on.
How to recover deleted videos from Recycle Bin?
After you deleted your video files on a Windows computer, Recycle Bin is always the first place you need to take a look at if you want to recover your deleted videos. If you didn't check your Recycle Bin yet, go head to take a look and you could be lucky enough to find them in there. Then what you need to do is to right-click the video and select Recover.
What if you have checked Recycle Bin, but didn't see your deleted videos?
There are five scenarios that deleted videos won't be placed into Recycle Bin:
- You have emptied Recycle Bin after you deleted video files. This is the most common scenario that you can't find your deleted videos in Recycle Bin.
- You deleted videos from SD cards, USB flash drives and external hard drives. Those video files will skip Recycle Bin.
- If a video is too large, usually you can't find it in Recycle Bin after it is deleted.
- If your turn on Delete files that have been in the recycle bin for over 30 days under Settings, your deleted videos and other files will be emptied from Recycle Bin automatically after 30 days. In this situation, it is much less possible for you to recover deleted videos, because it is very likely they have been overwritten.
- Video files are lost due to unexpected power off, virus attacks or malfunction of software when you are editing or transferring the videos.
In those situations, deleted or lost video recovery can't be done with standard function of Recycle Bin.
If you are familiar with Windows built-in backup tools - Back and Restore, Previous Versions and File History, then you can recover deleteted files, including videos, photos, music etc. through your backup copies.
Even if you don't back up your data, a bunch of video recovery software can also help you out easily and effectively.
3 Best free video recovery software
No.1: iBoysoft Data Recovery
iBoysoft Data Recovery is a professional and powerful tool for recovering deleted files including photos, videos, audio, music, documents and emails on Windows. The program can scan both your local computer hard drives, removable hard drives and memory cards for deleted or lost videos. iBoysoft Data Recovery is capable of recovering your videos from formatted/lost/inaccessible partitions. The program offers Quick scan and Deep scan modes to help users find missing videos as many as possible.
You can recover 1GB of video files for free.
Recuva provides nice and simple interface for users to start video recovery process. It is possible to restore deleted or lost videos from a damaged/corrupted/recently formatted disk too. It is very reliable video recovery software, especially for deleted video recovery.
However, the free version Recuva may not always recover every video that other free software has the ability to recover. It can find a lot of unrecoverable junk files, which makes it inconvenient to find what users actually want.
No.3: UndeleteMyFiles Pro
The interface of UndeleteMyFiles Pro may look "pro" to you, but don't make that push you away from its video recovery ability. It works well for recovering deleted videos from hard disks, USB flash drive, SD/SF cards, and other storage media.
However, file names are missing in scanned results, which makes it somewhat difficult to find specific videos. Unlike iBoysoft Data Recovery and Recuva, it doesn't have deep scan capability, so the program may not find all deleted or lost videos.
You can choose the free software which can meet your needs best. Besides, most paid data recovery software offer free scan for deleted or lost videos, and allows you to recover a limited size of files. Then you can get a rough idea about how many videos you are going to recover and choose one to purchase.
How to recover deleted/lost videos with iBoysoft Data Recovery
Best free video recovery software - iBoysoft Data Recovery
- Support various types of videos formats including .mp4, .mov, .avi, .flv etc.
- Recover videos from RAW partitions/inaccessible drives.
- Recover videos from formatted/lost/missing partitions.
- Support FAT32, NTFS, exFAT file systems.
- Compatible with Windows 10/8/7/Vista/XP and Windows Server 2016/2012/2008/2003.
Read-only & risk-free
Step 1: Download, install and launch iBoysoft Data Recovery on your PC.
If you want to recover videos from a removable storage device, plug it into a Windows computer.
Step 2: Choose a drive or a partition and check Deep scan.
Step 3: Click on Next.
Step 4: Preview a video at the side bar by double-clicking it.
Note: Note: This software provides two scan modes - Quick scan (default) and Deep scan. If you don't see your deleted or lost files after Quick scan, click Back to the home window and check “Deep scan”. It will restart the scanning process.
Step 5: Select the video you want to recover and click Recover.
How to recover deleted/lost videos from an SD memory card
Videos are usually stored onto SD memory card in digital cameras, GoPro camcorders or android phones. Even though you deleted videos from an SD memory card, or the SD card is corrupted or unreadable, the real content of videos could still be on their original locations before they are overwritten.
You can use video recovery software we mentioned above, like iBoysoft Data Recovery, to recover your videos from SD memory cards.
If the SD card is built-in, such as from digital camera or GoPro camcorder, then you can put it into a card reader and recover videos from the SD card with iBoysoft Data Recovery.
However, if the memory card can't be taken out, such as the micro SD card inserted in some Android photos, you'll need to turn to some data recovery software for Android.
Tips: Have you tried free video recovery app in Google Play? Check them out to see if they can help you to recover deleted videos on your Android phone.
How to recover YouTube/Facebook videos?
Recover YouTube videos:
You accidentally deleted your uploaded videos on YouTube channel? Here is how to recover:
Method 1:Recover YouTube videos from Help support
If you are in YouTube Partner Program and with more than 10,000 views, don't wait to send an email to the managing team of YouTube. They can help you restore your accidentally deleted uploaded videos.
Method 2:Recover YouTube videos from archive.org
- Step 1: Go to your YouTube email account and find the relevant information about your deleted or lost videos.
- Step 2: Copy the deleted or lost video's URL.
- Step 3: Open a browser, go to archive.org.
- Step 4: Paste the URL of the deleted YouTube video on the search field and click on Browse History.
- Step 5: The page redirects you to YouTube video upload history where you can find the video files you previously uploaded.
- Step 6: Download the video file and upload it again (of course back it up too).
Note: If you found your videos disappeared on your YouTube channel without deleting them yourself, it was very likely that YouTube took them down. YouTube deletes videos without warning if a video violates one of three rules: copyright violation, privacy violation, and promotion of non-friendly contents.
Recover Facebook videos:
Once a while you delete messages, photos or videos from your Facebook profile which is not intentional. Once you did, they couldn't be undone.
Good news. Facebook have all your data in their archive which users can download too.
Follow the guide:
- Step 1: Sign in your Facebook account and find Settings.
- Step 2: Click on Your Facebook Information.
- Step 3: You will see Download Your Information and click on the View button.
- Step 4: On next page you will see a Create File button and click on it.
- Step 5: After Facebook reminds you that the file is created, you can click on the notification to download the file.
- Step 6: Enter your login password and unzip the file. Open the folder you can find your messages, videos, friends list etc.
Hopefully by now, you have successfully recovered your deleted or lost YouTube or Facebook videos.
In this post, you are introduced to multiple ways to restore your deleted or lost videos. Using video recovery software is one of the greatest solutions.
If you deleted or lost videos from an SD card in a digital camera/GoPro camcorder or from a micro SD card within an Android phone, iBoysoft Data Recovery can help you recover videos very effectively. Besides video recovery from SD memory cards, iBoysoft Data Recovery can help recover various type of data from USB flash drives, external hard drives etc.