How to fix WD external hard drive RAW and not formatted error?
This article will tell you how to recover data from RAW WD external hard drive with free RAW drive data recovery software, like iBoysoft Data Recovery, and fix RAW WD external hard drive by formatting without losing data.
Western Digital external hard drive RAW and not formatted error is very common. When you plug in a WD external hard drive to your PC, you may get error messages such as "The disk in drive is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?" or "You need to format the disk in drive before you can use it". When checking in Disk Management, you'll find it showing RAW file system.
Why WD external hard drive becomes RAW and not formatted?
If a WD external hard drive becomes RAW and asks to format, it indicates that the partition table on the drive has become corrupt or damaged. This issue may be caused by the following reasons:
1. Abnormal ejection of the WD external hard drive, such as sudden power failures, removal without using "Safely Remove Hardware" option, etc.
2. Virus infection or malware attacks.
3. Physical damage.
How to fix WD external hard drive RAW and not formatted error without data loss?
Though the data on the RAW and not formatted WD external hard drive is inaccessible, it's recoverable as long as it hasn't been overwritten by any new data. So, before fixing WD external hard drive RAW and not formatted error, you need to recover data from RAW WD external hard drive at first.
Step 1: Recover data from RAW and not formatted WD external hard drive with iBoysoft Data Recovery.
iBoysoft Data Recovery is able to recover data from RAW partitions, RAW hard drives, RAW external hard drives, USB flash drives, Pen drives, SD cards, memory cards, CF cards, etc. It supports recovering videos, photos, music, and documents stored in NTFS, FAT32, exFAT formatted drives. Besides, it's able to recover data from formatted, unreadable, corrupted, inaccessible drives on Windows 10/8/7/Vista/XP and Windows Server 2019/2016/2012/2008/2003.
3 steps to recover data from RAW WD external hard drive with iBoysoft Data Recovery
1. Free download and install iBoysoft Data Recovery.
2. Launch iBoysoft Data Recovery. Select the RAW WD external hard drive and click "Next".
3. Choose files you want to get back and then click "Recover" button.
Step 2: Fix RAW WD external hard drive by formatting.
1. Go to This PC (Windows 10) or My Computer (Windows 8/7) or Disk Management, right click on the RAW WD external hard drive and select "Format".
2. Setup information about format: File system, allocation unit size, volume label, format options (The default format option is Quick Format). You can convert RAW to NTFS or convert RAW to FAT32 according to your preference.
3. Click on Start, the format process will be completed in minutes.
In this way, you can fix WD external hard drive RAW and not formatted error on Windows without losing data. What's more, this method is also useful to fix errors like USB flash drive not formatted, Pen drive RAW file system not formatted, external hard drive not formatted, etc.
Still have questions?