Hi, everyone! Whenever I tried to open my 8 GB USB flash drive on Windows computer, I received a prompt saying "You need to format it before you can use it". I viewed the properties of the USB flash drive and found out it was 0 bytes in Used space, 0 bytes in Free space as well. How to fix USB flash drive showing 0 bytes free/used space? Any solution will be greatly appreciated.
Many Windows users have suffered from 0 bytes errors, such as USB flash drives 0 bytes free/used space, SD memory card 0 bytes free/used space, or external hard drives 0 bytes, etc. It's annoying because this USB flash drive 0 bytes error will prevents you from accessing the drive as well as the data on it. Read on as we will show you how to fix 0 bytes free space 0 used space error on USB flash drives.
How to fix USB flash drive showing 0 bytes error?
Tips for USB flash drive 0 bytes error: To avoid unnecessary data loss, DO NOT format 0 bytes USB flash drive even though asked to because it will erase all the data on the USB flash drive.
Step 1: Recover lost data from USB flash drive that showing 0 bytes
iBoysoft Data Recovery is free data recovery software that is designed to recover lost data from RAW USB flash drive, hard drive, external hard drive, SD card, memory card, etc. that showing 0 bytes free space or 0 bytes used space on Windows 10/8/7/Vista/XP and Windows Server 2019/2016/2012/2008/2003.
Besides recovering data from USB flash drive showing 0 bytes, iBoysoft Data Recovery also performs well to recover deleted files, recover lost data from RAW drive, recover lost data from formatted drive, recover lost data from corrupted drive, recover lost data from inaccessible drive, recover lost data from deleted/lost partition, recover lost data from unrecognized drive, etc.
3 simple steps to recover lost data from USB flash drive showing 0 bytes with iBoysoft Data Recovery
1. Download and install iBoysoft Data Recovery.
2. Launch iBoysoft Data Recovery and choose the 0 bytes USB flash drive and click "Next".
3. Select files you want and click "Recover".
Step 2: Fix USB flash drive showing 0 bytes error by reformatting.
1. Go to My Computer (or This PC) or Disk Management,
2. Right click on the USB flash drive showing 0 bytes and select "Format" from right-click menu.
3. Set information about format and click Start, the format operation will be completed in several minutes.
Why USB flash drive showing 0 bytes used/free space?
In fact, the 0 bytes error is one of the scenarios of RAW filesystem issue. Besides USB flash drive showing 0 bytes free/used space or no media in Properties, you may also get RAW drive error messages such as "Sector not found", "Invalid media type reading", "The disk in drive is not formatted" or "The type of the file system is RAW. CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives." The problem of USB flash drive showing 0 bytes is usually due to the following reasons.
USB flash drive is corrupt due to virus intrusion;
2. The formatting process gets failed due to some reasons;
3. Bad sector on flash drive. USB drive also gets bad sectors causing problem in saving or reading data;
4. USB flash drive damage. There is physical problem on the USB flash drive, such as circuits or boards fails to work;
5. Power failure. Abrupt power failure while disk is writing data and plugging-out USB drive in an improper way can damage the file system.