I have a Western Digital external hard drive that is unrecognized by Windows anymore. When I plug it in, the hard drive does not show up on My Computer but can be found on Disk Management. There must be something wrong with my external hard drive. I do need my data on that drive. Is there any way to get the lost data back?
Have you ever been annoyed by unrecognized or undetected external hard drive as the above? Facing an unrecognized external hard drive, you may think that you've lost all the files forever. Hoverer, that's not true. This passage will tell you the possible causes of unrecognized external hard drive, and more importantly, how to recover data from unrecognized external hard drive in different situations.
Possible causes and solutions of unrecognized external hard drive
Generally speaking, an external hard drive might become unrecognized or undetected due to various reasons such as drive letter conflict, virus infection, improper operation, unsafe ejection, bad sectors, sudden power outage.
In most cases, when you say that the external hard drive is not recognized, you mean the external hard drive can't be detected by My Computer. Under the circumstances, you can firstly go to Disk Management to check whether it can be recognized.
If your external hard drive can be recognized by Disk Management but is unrecognized by My Computer, it may lose drive letter, become RAW file system, or suffer from partition loss.
- When there is no drive letter of external hard drive in Disk Management, you can right click the unrecognized external hard drive to change drive letter and paths. Just assign a new drive letter to the external hard drive, and then it can be recognized by My Computer.
- When the external hard drive shows as RAW file system or no file system in Disk Management, you can recover data from RAW external hard drive with iBoysoft Data Recovery.
- When the external hard drive shows as unallocated space in Disk Management, you can use iBoysoft Data Recovery to find lost partition and then recover data from it.
For the last two situations, please find detailed tutorial to restore data at the end of this passage.
If your external hard drive is unrecognized neither by My Computer nor by Disk Management, there are 2 methods for you:
- Try it on other computer
- Change a new external hard drive or USB cable and then try again
If both the 2 methods have failed, your external hard drive may be physically damaged and you can turn to a local data recovery company for help.
How to recover data from unrecognized or undetected external hard drive?
If your external hard drive has lost partition or its file system has became RAW, iBoysoft Data Recovery can help you to get lost data back. iBoysoft Data Recovery is a professional data recovery software that can easily help you to recover data from unrecognized external hard drive, RAW external hard drive, corrupted external hard drive, not formatted external hard drive, inaccessible external hard drive, formatted external hard drive, recover files deleted or lost from external hard drive, etc.
Unrecognized external hard drive data recovery with iBoysoft Data Recovery
Step 1: Download & install iBoysoft Data Recovery and connect the unrecognized external hard drive to the PC.
Step 2: Launch iBoysoft Data Recovery and then:
- if it shows as RAW in Disk Management, choose the RAW external hard drive.
- if it shows as unallocated space in Disk Management, click "Find More Partitions"to find the unrecognized external hard drive and select it.
Step 3: Click "Next" button to start scanning.
Step 4: Preview the searching results. After that, select those you want and click the "Recover" to get them back.
Step 5: Lastly, have a check to ensure you have recovered all lost data.
Aside from recovering data from unrecognized or RAW external hard drive, iBoysoft Data Recovery can also recover data from RAW USB flash drive, RAW hard drive partition, RAW memory card, RAW SD card, etc.
Still have questions?