The file system of hard drive is suddenly displayed as RAW? USB flash drive becomes RAW and can't be accessible? We are here to help! This article will introduce causes & symptoms about RAW external hard drive, as well as how to fix RAW external hard drive without losing data.
How to fix RAW external hard drive and restore data?
When facing RAW external hard drive, it's noteworthy that we shouldn't format it before recovering data from it. Otherwise, we will lose the data. What we should do is to recover files from the RAW external hard drive at the first step, and then format the RAW external hard drive. At the first step, we can seek help from the best data recovery software - iBoysoft Data Recovery.
iBoysoft Data Recovery is a complete data recovery software that can recover data from RAW external hard drive, recover data from formatted external hard drive, unrecognized external hard drive, corrupted external hard drive, inaccessible external hard drive, recover deleted files even if emptied from Recycle Bin, etc. on Windows and Mac.
Step 1: Recover data from RAW external hard drive
1. Install iBoysoft Data Recovery, and connect the RAW external hard drive to PC.
2. Launch iBoysoft Data Recovery, and select the RAW external hard drive.
3. Preview the scanning results and click "Recover" to restore data.
4. Check to ensure you have recovered all needed data.
Step 2: Format the RAW external hard drive
After the lost data has been successfully restored, we can format the RAW external hard drive to NTFS/FAT32/exFAT file system. RAW external hard drive error will be fixed after format completes.
1. Go to My Computer, This PC or Disk Management, and right-click the RAW external hard drive to select "Format".
2. Set information about format: file system, allocation unit size, volume label, format options (the default format option is Quick Format).
3. Click "Start", the format operation will complete soon.
If you want to fix/repair RAW external hard drive, please refer to how to fix/repair RAW external hard drive.
Causes for external hard drive becoming RAW
Below are some reasons that can explain why your external hard drive shows as RAW in PC:
- Virus attack
- Hard drive error
- Corrupt file system
- Improper operation: unplugging hard drive from PC or laptop without safe ejection, etc.
Symptoms of RAW hard drive
If you encounter one of following situations while using external hard drive, it means the partition in the external hard drive is corruptted and becomes RAW:
- Windows may ask wheather you want to format the drive, such as the warning "disk is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?"
- File names contain weird characters
- "Sector not found" messages
- 0 bytes used space, 0 bytes free space
- File system is displayed as RAW, etc.