As an external hard drive user, you are possible to encounter such problem: when plugging your external hard drive into a computer, Windows prompts "You need to format disk in drive before you can use it. Do you want to format it?" or "The disk in drive is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?"
This phenomenon is called RAW, which means your hard drive hasn't been prepared for use with your Operating System or it has been damaged and the data is no longer readable. In this situation, it's noteworthy that you should format corrupted external hard drive after recovering data from it. Otherwise, you will lose the data.
How to fix external hard drive not formatted error?
Before fixing external hard drive not formatted error, you need to find a professional data recovery software and recover data from not formatted external hard drive.
iBoysoft Data Recovery is a free data recovery software that can efficiently recover data when external hard drives not formatted, USB flash drives not formatted, SD cards not formatted, memory cards not formatted, and recover data from RAW, formatted, inaccessible, corrupted drives, recover deleted files even if emptied from Recycle Bin, recover data from deleted or lost partitions, etc.
Step 1: Recover data when an external hard drive is not formatted with iBoysoft Data Recovery
1. Download & install iBoysoft Data Recovery, and then connect the not formatted external hard drive to PC.
2. Launch iBoysoft Data Recovery, and select the not formatted external hard drive and click "Next" to scan.
3. Preview the scanning results and click "Recover" to restore data.
4. Check to ensure you have recovered all needed data.
Besides to solve external hard drive not formatted, iBoysoft Data Recovery can also recover data from formatted partition, recover data from formatted external hard drive, recover data from inaccessible hard drive, recover data from inaccessible exteral hard drive, etc.
Step 2: Format external hard drive
After the lost data has been successfully restored, we can format the external hard drive to NTFS/FAT32/exFAT file system, external hard drive not formatted error will be fixed after format completes.
1. Go to My Computer, This PC or Disk Management, and right click the not formatted external hard drive to select "Format".
2. Set information about format: file system, allocation unit size, volume label, format options (the default format option is quick format).
3. Click "Start", the format operation will be completed soon.