How to fix Pen drive file system unknown error on Windows 10/8/7?
I have a Pen drive when I insert it into one of my port it shows in the My Computer. But its properties is showing Unknown File System and the used space and free space part showing 0 bytes. I can't also check for errors in the drive. How can I fix the unknown file system of Pen drive and recover my data?
It's worrying when you plug in a Pen drive or USB flash drive only find it showing unknown file system and inaccessible. Just like the error "disk 1 unknown not initialized", various problems can lead to Pen drive file system being unknown, including file system corruption, bad sectors, MBR corruption, virus infection, etc.
In this article, we will show you how to fix Pen drive file system unknown, or not initialized issue and recover lost data from unknown Pen drive.
Two scenarios of Pen drive file system unknown in Disk Management
1. Pen drive is showing as Unknown, Not initialized but with correct capacity. It means the Pen drive is detected or recognized by the operating system, but due to partition table or MBR corruption, you can't open the unknown Pen drive nor access the data on it. In this case, you can follow the steps as below to recover lost data from the unknown Pen drive and then fix the unknown file system of Pen drive by formatting.
2. Pen drive is showing as Unknown, Not initialized without capacity info. There's a high chance the unknown Pen drive is physically damaged, or dead, and needed to be replaced.
How to fix Pen drive file system unknown without losing data?
Before fixing unknown file system of Pen drive, please make sure you have a backup copy of the data on the drive. Or, you need to recover lost data from unknown Pen drive with free data recovery software such as iBoysoft Data Recovery
iBoysoft Data Recovery is able to recover lost data from not initialized hard drives, recover lost data from unallocated external hard drives, recover lost data from not recognized external hard drives, recover lost data from RAW file system on Pen drives, USB flash drives, SD cards, CF cards, memory cards, and much more storage devices.
Step 1: Recovery data from unknown Pen drive with iBoysoft Data Recovery.
1. Free download, install and launch iBoysoft Data Recovery on your computer.
2. Choose the unknown Pen drive and click "Next". The program will start scanning for files on the Pen drive whose files system is showing as unknown.
3. Preview the searching results, choose those you want to get back.
4. Click "Recover" button to recover lost data from unknown Pen drive.
Besides, iBoysoft Data Recovery is also able to recover lost data from corrupted, formatted, RAW, inaccessible, drives and partitions on Windows 10/8/7/Vista/XP and Windows Server 2019/2016/2012/2008/2003.
Step 2: Fix Pen drive file system unknown error by formatting.
1. Go to This PC (Windows 10) or My Computer (Windows 8/7) or Disk Management, right click the unknown Pen drive and select "Format".
2. Setup information about format: File system (NTFS/FAT32/exFAT), allocation unit size, volume label, format options (The default format option is Quick Format).
3. Click on Start, the format process will be completed in minutes.
Then, check Pen drive file system in Disk Management again. Hopefully, you will see Pen drive file system showing as you set and you can access the data as normal.
Still have questions?