Fix disk 1 unknown, not initialized, unallocated in Windows 10/7/8
Please help! When I plugged in my WD external hard drive, it said that it successfully installed, however it didn't appear on My Computer. Also when I went into Disk Management, it described as unknown, not initialized and unallocated. Anyone knows how to initialize disk without losing data?
Like the above case, "disk unknown, not initialized and unallocated" is one of common issues in Windows 10/8/7 that annoys numerous users. It occurs not only on removable hard drives but also on internal hard drives of laptops and desktops.
When the disk unknown, not initialized and unallocated error happens, you are unable to view, transfer or access the data stored on it. Want to fix disk 1 unknow, not initialized, unallocated issue immediately without losing data? Download free unallocated partition recovery software - iBoysoft Data Recovery and let's start.
Two cases of disk 1 not initialized issue
Usually, when you run Disk Management, disk 1 may show unallocated space or no disk space. These are two cases of disk 1 not initialized issue.
1. Disk 1 displays unallocated and has disk capacity in Disk Management. It means Windows operating system has recognized this disk, but due to some reasons, the partition is lost or MBR is corrupted. In this case, you can use professional data recovery software, like iBoysoft Data Recovery, to rebuild MBR and locate all lost files.
2. No information on disk. If disk 1 doesn't show disk capacity, maybe it is because of some physical damages. You need to take the disk out and send the disk to a local data recovery professional for help.
How to fix disk 1 unknown, not initialized, unallocated in Windows 10/7/8?
When disk 1 shows unallocated space and has disk capacity, you can try the following steps.
Step 1: Recover lost data from not initialized disk
If you have important files saved in hard drive, you'd better retrieve important data from not initialized hard drive with free data recovery software first, then initialize the hard drive.
When comes to free data recovery software, iBoysoft Data Recovery is your best choice to recover lost data from not initialized hard drives, recover lost data from unallocated external hard drives, USB flash drives, SD cards, CF cards, memory cards, SanDisk cards, memory sticks, etc. in Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10 and Windows Server 2019/2016/2012/2008/2003..
How to recover lost data from not initialized hard drive?
1. Free download, install and launch iBoysoft Data Recovery on your computer.
2. Choose the not initialized disk and click "Next" or click "Find More Partitions" on the top of the menu bar to find lost partitions.
3. Based on capacity, select the target partition in which your important data stored and click "Next" to search for all existing files in this partition.
4. Preview the searching results, choose those you want, and click "Recover" button to get them back.
Lastly, have a check to ensure all lost data have been recovered. After data recovery completed, you can run Disk Management to initialize the hard drive.
Step 2: Use Disk Management to fix disk 1 not initialized error
The easiest way to fix disk 1 unknown, not initialized and unallocated error is to perform initialization in Disk Management.
Note: Disk initialization can clear all data off and cause hard drive data loss. If you have stored a large amount of data on the hard drive without a backup copy, DO NOT INITIALIZE IT but go to data recovery first.
With iBoysoft Data Recovery, you are also allowed to recover deleted files emptied from Recycle Bin, recover lost data from RAW drive, recover lost data from inaccessible drive, recover lost data from corrupted drive, recover lost data from unrecognized drive, recovers data from formatted drive, and recover lost data from deleted or lost partition.
Still have questions?